* new behaviour of `split-string'
@ 2003-11-14 22:20 Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-14 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

A Gnus bug was caused by a problem with `split-string'.

Emacs 21.2:

(split-string ":foo:bar" ":")
=> ("foo" "bar")

Emacs CVS:

(split-string ":foo:bar" ":")
=> ("" "foo" "bar")

There is no NEWS entry for this change, although it seems important
enough to warrant one.

Is this a bug in Emacs CVS or a feature that lack a NEWS entry?

The docstring for the function has been changed.

Emacs 21.2:

If there is match for SEPARATORS at the beginning of STRING, we do not
include a null substring for that.  Likewise, if there is a match
at the end of STRING, we don't include a null substring for that.

Emacs CVS:

The beginning and end of STRING, and each match for SEPARATORS, are
splitting points.  The substrings matching SEPARATORS are removed, and
the substrings between the splitting points are collected as a list,
which is returned.

I suggest adding the following to NEWS:

*** The function `split-string' now include a null substring when
there is a SEPARATOR at the beginning or end of STRING.

* Re: new behaviour of `split-string'
@ 2003-11-14 23:14 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2003-11-14 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:

   A Gnus bug was caused by a problem with `split-string'.

   Emacs 21.2:

   (split-string ":foo:bar" ":")
   => ("foo" "bar")

   Emacs CVS:

   (split-string ":foo:bar" ":")
   => ("" "foo" "bar")

   There is no NEWS entry for this change, although it seems important
   enough to warrant one.

   Is this a bug in Emacs CVS or a feature that lack a NEWS entry?

The latter.

   I suggest adding the following to NEWS:

   *** The function `split-string' now include a null substring when
   there is a SEPARATOR at the beginning or end of STRING.

The actual behavior is somewhat more complicated.  I have added a NEWS
entry.

Sincerely,

Luc.