* kill-whole-line
@ 2003-05-26  0:34 Markus Rost
From: Markus Rost @ 2003-05-26  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

If point is on the last line of the buffer and you hit <S-backspace>
(which runs the command kill-whole-line), you get an error: End of buffer

Evaluating the form

(progn
  (goto-char (point-max))
  (kill-whole-line)
  )

has the same effect, and buffer *Messages* will contain the line

if: End of buffer

I doubt that this behavior is desirable.

* Re: kill-whole-line
@ 2003-05-26  0:54 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2003-05-26  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Markus Rost wrote:

   If point is on the last line of the buffer and you hit <S-backspace>
   (which runs the command kill-whole-line), you get an error: End of buffer

   Evaluating the form

   (progn
     (goto-char (point-max))
     (kill-whole-line)
     )

   has the same effect, and buffer *Messages* will contain the line

   if: End of buffer

   I doubt that this behavior is desirable.

I sent a revised version of kill-whole-line.  That revised version
should not yet be committed, because I still want to change the
documentation string and add comments.  The behavior you describe
would remain unchanged, however.  What part do you consider undesirable
and why?  I do not understand why you get the "if" in:

if: End of buffer

Even with the present version I get, after evaluating your progn:

kill-whole-line: End of buffer

Other than that, the behavior is no different than if you replace
kill-whole-line with kill-line.  Why should it be?

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: kill-whole-line
@ 2003-05-26  1:01 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2003-05-26  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Now I believe I understand your objection.  With the present version,
you get the error at the end of the buffer even if there is something
to be killed. That will no longer be true in my revised version.  You
will only get an error message if you are at the end of the buffer and
there is nothing to be killed there, just an empty line.

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: kill-whole-line
@ 2003-05-26  1:08   ` Markus Rost
From: Markus Rost @ 2003-05-26  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

     What part do you consider undesirable
   and why?

If you go to the end of the buffer, type some text, and then hit the
key S-backspace, I would not expect to get a beep and a message "End
of buffer".  On the other hand, if you do C-a C-k, you don't get a
beep, except when the line is empty and at the end of the buffer.

    I do not understand why you get the "if" in:

   if: End of buffer

That was a side effect from edebugging kill-whole-line earlier.
Sorry, I was not aware that edebug changes the error messages.