* Arabic leim/quail support
@ 2003-05-12 16:55 Nadim Shaikli
From: Nadim Shaikli @ 2003-05-12 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings, I'm attaching a patch to include Arabic quail
support (its rather minor and should not affect anything),
do please consider its inclusion at your earliest convenience.

Patch is against 21.3.50 (from CVS).

Thanks

 - Nadim

---
Arabeyes.org - Arabic linux done _RIGHT_ ;-)
 eScarab.org - ...because the developing world has needs

http://search.yahoo.com

[-- Attachment #2: emacs_arabic_leim.patch.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-unknown, Size: 2315 bytes --]

* Re: Arabic leim/quail support
@ 2003-05-13 11:56 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2003-05-13 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <20030512165506.16683.qmail@web14914.mail.yahoo.com>, Nadim Shaikli <shaikli@yahoo.com> writes:
> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> Greetings, I'm attaching a patch to include Arabic quail
> support (its rather minor and should not affect anything),
> do please consider its inclusion at your earliest convenience.

> Patch is against 21.3.50 (from CVS).

Thank you for the contribution.  But, we already have the
attached one (arabic.el.gz).  It seems that yours is the
same as the first one in arabic.el.gz.  Could you please
check it?  And, we also have non-official version of Emacs
that handles bidi text.  Please visit this page:
	http://www.m17n.org/emacs-bidi/index.html

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

[-- Attachment #2: arabic.el.gz --]

* Re: Arabic leim/quail support
@ 2003-05-13 18:13   ` Nadim Shaikli
From: Nadim Shaikli @ 2003-05-13 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

--- Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:
> In article <20030512165506.16683.qmail@web14914.mail.yahoo.com>,
> Nadim Shaikli writes:
> > Greetings, I'm attaching a patch to include Arabic quail
> > support (its rather minor and should not affect anything),
> > do please consider its inclusion at your earliest convenience.
>
> > Patch is against 21.3.50 (from CVS).
>
> Thank you for the contribution.  But, we already have the
> attached one (arabic.el.gz).  It seems that yours is the
> same as the first one in arabic.el.gz.  Could you please
> check it?  And, we also have non-official version of Emacs
> that handles bidi text.  Please visit this page:
> 	http://www.m17n.org/emacs-bidi/index.html

I'm well aware of your great work (I've contributed to its testing :-)
It seems dormant at the moment and it would be nice to have a clear
direction statement and a proposed "completion date" ;-)

I simply saw that the "live" emacs version (21.3.+) was lacking Arabic
support and opted to include it myself (wasn't sure what issues are
involved in using your code (license, etc) and opted to create the
patch myself - wasn't sure why the leim/quail support wasn't already
included into emacs' main trunk, it should have been).

Comparing the two files - yours looks fine too.  Do please include
either.

Regards,

 - Nadim

http://search.yahoo.com

* Re: Arabic leim/quail support
@ 2003-05-14  0:15     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2003-05-14  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <20030513181301.64873.qmail@web14909.mail.yahoo.com>, Nadim Shaikli <shaikli@yahoo.com> writes:
> I simply saw that the "live" emacs version (21.3.+) was lacking Arabic
> support and opted to include it myself (wasn't sure what issues are
> involved in using your code (license, etc) and opted to create the
> patch myself - wasn't sure why the leim/quail support wasn't already
> included into emacs' main trunk, it should have been).

I simply thought that including an Arabic input method in
the current Emacs is useless because bidi-displaying is not
supported.  But now that you request it, perhaps I was
wrong.

> Comparing the two files - yours looks fine too.  Do please include
> either.

Ok.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Arabic leim/quail support
@ 2003-05-14  0:29       ` Nadim Shaikli
From: Nadim Shaikli @ 2003-05-14  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

--- Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:
> In article <20030513181301.64873.qmail@web14909.mail.yahoo.com>, Nadim
> Shaikli writes:
> > I simply saw that the "live" emacs version (21.3.+) was lacking Arabic
> > support and opted to include it myself (wasn't sure what issues are
> > involved in using your code (license, etc) and opted to create the
> > patch myself - wasn't sure why the leim/quail support wasn't already
> > included into emacs' main trunk, it should have been).
>
> I simply thought that including an Arabic input method in
> the current Emacs is useless because bidi-displaying is not
> supported.  But now that you request it, perhaps I was
> wrong.

Its better than nothing.

Thanks for the inclusion.

 - Nadim