* emacs XIM question
@ 2003-01-08  9:25 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-01-08  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying out the `kinput2' input server with emacs.  It generally
seems to work pretty well, but there's one glitch I'm wondering about:

kinput2 displays its not-yet-sent-to-the-application text with an
underline, and the text it displays is shifted upwards compared to
subsequent client display by one pixel, which is the same as the
thickness of the underline.

What I'm wondering is, is this a bug with kinput2 -- should it locating
its display window one pixel down to account for the underline
thickness -- or is this an off-by-one error in the coordinates emacs
sends to kinput2.

The coordinates emacs sends as the `spot location' to kinput2 are the
x,y coordinates of the top of the cursor + the default font's ascent
added to the y coordinate (this looks pretty bad if your inputing in a
location with non-default fonts, incidentally; perhaps there's a
better way to calculate the font baseline to send to the input manager).

Here's a simple picture:

   -- displayed by emacs -- -- kinput2 text --
                            #   #        # #
    #   #        # #        #   #   ###  # #  ###
    #   #   ###  # #  ###   #####  #   # # # #   #
    #####  #   # # # #   #  #   #  ####  # # #   #
    #   #  ####  # # #   #  #   #  #     # # #   #
    #   #  #     # # #   #  #   #   #### # #  ###
    #   #   #### # #  ###   #######################

after kinput2 sends the text to emacs, it's of course displayed properly.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
自らを空にして、心を開く時、道は開かれる

* Re: emacs XIM question
@ 2003-01-15 12:38 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2003-01-15 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <buo4r8kxac3.fsf@mcspd15.ucom.lsi.nec.co.jp>, Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:
> kinput2 displays its not-yet-sent-to-the-application text with an
> underline, and the text it displays is shifted upwards compared to
> subsequent client display by one pixel, which is the same as the
> thickness of the underline.

Emacs displays CJK characters not just on the baseline but
by shifting vertically so that they align well with latin
characters.  Perhaps that is the reason.  See the docstring
of vertical-centering-font-regexp.

Please set this variable to nil and try kinput2 again.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: emacs XIM question
@ 2003-01-23  4:35   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-01-23  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:
> > kinput2 displays its not-yet-sent-to-the-application text with an
> > underline, and the text it displays is shifted upwards compared to
> > subsequent client display by one pixel, which is the same as the
> > thickness of the underline.
>
> Emacs displays CJK characters not just on the baseline but by shifting
> vertically so that they align well with latin characters.  Perhaps
> that is the reason.  See the docstring of vertical-centering-font-regexp.
>
> Please set this variable to nil and try kinput2 again.

It doesn't seem to make any difference.

I suspect the problem is either in kinput2 or the way clients use the
XIM protocol -- I notice that multilingual terminals (such as mlterm)
have the same behavior as emacs when used with kinput2.

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen