* Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 14:03 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-10-29 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, wmperry

It was decided to include Url as part of Emacs and it seems that the
best way to do that as far as moving/including the files is concerned
is to create symlink in subversions's emacs/lisp directory.
More specifically, something like the following:

   ln -s /cvsroot/url/url/lisp /cvsroot/emacs/emacs/lisp/url

Something of the same kind was done for emacs/src/regex.[ch] which
is symlinked to gnulib/regex.[ch].

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 14:16 ` nferrier
From: nferrier @ 2002-10-29 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cvs-hackers, emacs-devel, wmperry

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> It was decided to include Url as part of Emacs and it seems that the
> best way to do that as far as moving/including the files is concerned
> is to create symlink in subversions's emacs/lisp directory.
> More specifically, something like the following:
>
>    ln -s /cvsroot/url/url/lisp /cvsroot/emacs/emacs/lisp/url
>
> Something of the same kind was done for emacs/src/regex.[ch] which
> is symlinked to gnulib/regex.[ch].
>

> 	Stefan

A better way of doing this is module import. Unfortunately I'm not
sure whether the savannah cvs aliasing system allows for module import
between CVS repositories. I guess a symlink from client to provider
repository might work.

I think that would be safer than a direct symlink.

Nic

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 14:23   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-10-29 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, cvs-hackers, emacs-devel, wmperry

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 02:16:49PM +0000, nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk wrote:
> I think that would be safer than a direct symlink.

Why is it safer?  I thought that CVS explicitly checked for symlinks in the
repository, and did `the right thing' with those it found.  No?

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 14:39 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-10-29 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cvs-hackers, emacs-devel, wmperry

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:03:04 -0500, "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> wrote:

> Something of the same kind was done for emacs/src/regex.[ch] which
> is symlinked to gnulib/regex.[ch].

Uh? What does mean this entry from etc/TODO then?

> * Merge the Emacs regex.c with the Glibc regex.c.
>   They split off a few years ago through negligance.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 14:51   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-10-29 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, cvs-hackers, emacs-devel, wmperry

> > Something of the same kind was done for emacs/src/regex.[ch] which
> > is symlinked to gnulib/regex.[ch].
>
> Uh? What does mean this entry from etc/TODO then?
>
> > * Merge the Emacs regex.c with the Glibc regex.c.
> >   They split off a few years ago through negligance.

It means that gnulib != glibc.

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 14:53   ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 2002-10-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, cvs-hackers, emacs-devel

nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk writes:

> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> writes:
>
>> It was decided to include Url as part of Emacs and it seems that the
>> best way to do that as far as moving/including the files is concerned
>> is to create symlink in subversions's emacs/lisp directory.
>> More specifically, something like the following:
>>
>>    ln -s /cvsroot/url/url/lisp /cvsroot/emacs/emacs/lisp/url
>>
>> Something of the same kind was done for emacs/src/regex.[ch] which
>> is symlinked to gnulib/regex.[ch].
>
> A better way of doing this is module import. Unfortunately I'm not sure
> whether the savannah cvs aliasing system allows for module import between
> CVS repositories. I guess a symlink from client to provider repository
> might work.

Do you mean editing the CVSROOT/modules file in the Emacs CVS repository?
I don't think that you can specify a different repository as a source
there.

There is also a danger that you won't get appropriate changelog messages in
one or the other repositories.  Currently the URL library keeps all of the
ChangeLog entries in .../url/ChangeLog (instead of having a separate one in
lisp, texi, etc).  If someone makes an edit in Emacs' version of the
repository, the changelog will end up going in ../ChangeLog, etc.  Is this
a big deal?  Should I move the lisp-related changelog entries into
lisp/ChangeLog?

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 14:56     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-10-29 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> There is also a danger that you won't get appropriate changelog messages in
> one or the other repositories.  Currently the URL library keeps all of the
> ChangeLog entries in .../url/ChangeLog (instead of having a separate one in
> lisp, texi, etc).  If someone makes an edit in Emacs' version of the
> repository, the changelog will end up going in ../ChangeLog, etc.  Is this
> a big deal?  Should I move the lisp-related changelog entries into
> lisp/ChangeLog?

This is mostly orthogonal to how we get the URL files included.
Or maybe not: would it be a problem for you to get rid of the Url module
altogether and use the Emacs repository as *the* url repository ?

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 14:57   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-10-29 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, cvs-hackers, emacs-devel, wmperry

> > It was decided to include Url as part of Emacs and it seems that the
> > best way to do that as far as moving/including the files is concerned
> > is to create symlink in subversions's emacs/lisp directory.
> > More specifically, something like the following:
> >
> >    ln -s /cvsroot/url/url/lisp /cvsroot/emacs/emacs/lisp/url
> >
> > Something of the same kind was done for emacs/src/regex.[ch] which
> > is symlinked to gnulib/regex.[ch].
> >

> > 	Stefan
>
> A better way of doing this is module import. Unfortunately I'm not
> sure whether the savannah cvs aliasing system allows for module import
> between CVS repositories. I guess a symlink from client to provider
> repository might work.

I don't understand what you mean by "a symlink from client to provider
repository".

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 15:08     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-10-29 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cvs-hackers, emacs-devel, wmperry

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:51:18 -0500, "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> wrote:

> > > * Merge the Emacs regex.c with the Glibc regex.c.
> > >   They split off a few years ago through negligance.
>
> It means that gnulib != glibc.

Ah, I suspected as much. But then I don't understand why would it be an
Emacs TODO item to merge gnulib's regex with glibc's regex, unless Emacs
is the single (or main) project using gnulib.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 15:15     ` nferrier
From: nferrier @ 2002-10-29 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nferrier, cvs-hackers, emacs-devel, wmperry

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> > > It was decided to include Url as part of Emacs and it seems that the
> > > best way to do that as far as moving/including the files is concerned
> > > is to create symlink in subversions's emacs/lisp directory.
> > > More specifically, something like the following:
> > >
> > >    ln -s /cvsroot/url/url/lisp /cvsroot/emacs/emacs/lisp/url
> > >
> > > Something of the same kind was done for emacs/src/regex.[ch] which
> > > is symlinked to gnulib/regex.[ch].
> > >

> > > 	Stefan
> >
> > A better way of doing this is module import. Unfortunately I'm not
> > sure whether the savannah cvs aliasing system allows for module import
> > between CVS repositories. I guess a symlink from client to provider
> > repository might work.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "a symlink from client to provider
> repository".

I mean that the emacs repository (the directory pointed at by your
cvsroot symlink) gets a symlink to the url repository. It's then
possible to use CVS module import on the symlinked URL repository.

for example:

   ln -s (subversions)/cvsroot/url (subversions)/cvsroot/emacs/url

You can then combine the one module with the other.

However, a symlink direct to the repository is just as good from a
technical point if view. I suggest the above because IMHO it's easier
to manage, the resources for a project are kept within the projects
CVS repository.

Nic

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 15:21       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-10-29 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, cvs-hackers, emacs-devel, wmperry

> > It means that gnulib != glibc.
>
> Ah, I suspected as much. But then I don't understand why would it be an
> Emacs TODO item to merge gnulib's regex with glibc's regex, unless Emacs
> is the single (or main) project using gnulib.

Because it's the main project using it.
Especially because most other projects that use it do only that: use it;
whereas Emacs has (had to) change(d) it several times.

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 15:38         ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-10-29 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cvs-hackers, emacs-devel, wmperry

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:21:33 -0500, "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> wrote:

> Because it's the main project using it.

OK, now I see.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Linking Url into Emacs/lisp
@ 2002-10-29 16:00       ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 2002-10-29 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> writes:

>> There is also a danger that you won't get appropriate changelog messages in
>> one or the other repositories.  Currently the URL library keeps all of the
>> ChangeLog entries in .../url/ChangeLog (instead of having a separate one in
>> lisp, texi, etc).  If someone makes an edit in Emacs' version of the
>> repository, the changelog will end up going in ../ChangeLog, etc.  Is this
>> a big deal?  Should I move the lisp-related changelog entries into
>> lisp/ChangeLog?
>
> This is mostly orthogonal to how we get the URL files included.  Or maybe
> not: would it be a problem for you to get rid of the Url module
> altogether and use the Emacs repository as *the* url repository ?

This would make it difficult for people to update URL outside of an Emacs
release.  I would like to maintain a separate package (.tar.gz, debian
package, etc) with its own separate build system if at all possible.

-bp
--

@ 2002-10-30 17:17     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-30 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lektu, monnier+gnu/emacs, cvs-hackers, emacs-devel, wmperry

    > > Something of the same kind was done for emacs/src/regex.[ch] which
    > > is symlinked to gnulib/regex.[ch].
    >
    > Uh? What does mean this entry from etc/TODO then?
    >
    > > * Merge the Emacs regex.c with the Glibc regex.c.
    > >   They split off a few years ago through negligance.

This issue has nothing to do with that entry in etc/TODO.
We are talking about how to install the URL package.

regex.* was mentioned only as an example of a technique that
might be used.  It is not relevant in any other way.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-30 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: wmperry, emacs-devel

    This is mostly orthogonal to how we get the URL files included.
    Or maybe not: would it be a problem for you to get rid of the Url module
    altogether and use the Emacs repository as *the* url repository ?

This is the best way to do it.  To have URL in two different places
would only cause confusion.  It would be much better for the only
place to find URL to be in Emacs.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-30 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier+gnu/emacs, emacs-devel

    This would make it difficult for people to update URL outside of an Emacs
    release.

It is better if URL is released as part of Emacs.