* [root@mailserver.adm.unipi.it: Dangerous: delete-file deletes current directory as root!!]
@ 2002-10-11  4:41 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-11  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone fix this?

From: Super-User <root@mailserver.adm.unipi.it>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Dangerous: delete-file deletes current directory as root!!
Sender: bug-gnu-emacs-admin@gnu.org
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:58:37 +0200 (MEST)

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, X toolkit)
 of 2002-10-08 on mailserver
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I am not knowledgeable about this platform, but here Emacs has a
serious and dangerous bug.  When running as root (did not try as a
normal user) if one does:

M-x delete-file RET

Emacs deletes the current directory!  I suspect that this is not a
recursive deletion, rather I think that it simply unlinks it, leaving
all the files there but unreachable, because the operation is
instantaneous and the directory I lost was the whole Pyhton source
tree, so it cannot have recursively deleted it in a few tenths of
second.

Recent input:
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O B ESC O A ESC O A ESC
O A ESC O A C-g p w d RET m k d i r SPC a RET c d SPC
a RET ESC x d e l e t e SPC f i SPC RET RET c d SPC
. . RET ESC p ESC p ESC p RET c d SPC a RET > b RET
l s RET ESC x ESC O A RET RET ESC x r e p o r t - e
m TAB RET

Recent messages:
/usr/local/src
call-interactively: Quit