* Problems with console and "umlaut"s
@ 2002-10-09 11:15 stl
From: stl @ 2002-10-09 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

Emacs gives me trouble with umlauts.
I use a "us-international" keyboard layout with dead keys on ` ~ ^ ' "
so i can type "-a to produce the character ä or "-e for ë. This works
fine with gui emacs under X11 or win32. But on the console or when
started "-nw" emacs just beeps when typing "-a.
I know i could use ^x-8-"-a but well.. i dont want to break my fingers
:)

I think this has to do with emacs because with other applications this
just works fine. Maybe an bug?

Thanks,
Stephan

* Re: Problems with console and "umlaut"s
@ 2002-10-09 15:58 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-10-09 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Emacs gives me trouble with umlauts.
> I use a "us-international" keyboard layout with dead keys on ` ~ ^ ' "
> so i can type "-a to produce the character ä or "-e for ë. This works
> fine with gui emacs under X11 or win32. But on the console or when
> started "-nw" emacs just beeps when typing "-a.
> I know i could use ^x-8-"-a but well.. i dont want to break my fingers
> :)

groups.google.com has (under gnu.emacs.help) many copies of the answer
to this question.