* Display bug with partly visible lines
@ 2002-09-10 16:36 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-09-10 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

People said that the display bug with partly visible lines
was still happening, but I still cannot observe it.
Can someone tell me a test case that fails now?

* Re: Display bug with partly visible lines
@ 2002-09-10 17:05 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-09-10 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:36:38 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> People said that the display bug with partly visible lines
> was still happening, but I still cannot observe it.

Yes.

> Can someone tell me a test case that fails now?

What do you mean, "a test case"? I have a recipe that makes it fail
every time, but I've only tested it on Windows.

emacs -q --no-site-file
C-h n
M-: (setq scroll-conservatively 100000)
M-x ruler-mode
<down> <down> ....

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Display bug with partly visible lines
@ 2002-09-10 17:44   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-10 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es> writes:

> What do you mean, "a test case"? I have a recipe that makes it fail
> every time, but I've only tested it on Windows.
>
> emacs -q --no-site-file
> C-h n
> M-: (setq scroll-conservatively 100000)
> M-x ruler-mode
> <down> <down> ....

FWIW, I could reproduce it on my Debian woody GNU/Linux system.
(Well, I saw partly duplicated lines, not sure if this is really "it"
or whether I am seeing another problem.)

kai

* Re: Display bug with partly visible lines
@ 2002-09-11  2:43     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-09-11  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:44:09 +0200
Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> (Well, I saw partly duplicated lines, not sure if this is really "it"
> or whether I am seeing another problem.)

That's the "it" I see, yes.

--

@ 2002-09-12  6:25 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-09-12  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:36:38 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> People said that the display bug with partly visible lines
> was still happening, but I still cannot observe it.

The bug is now corrected, at the expense of ignoring
`scroll-conservatively'.

What I mean is that, setting a big value for `scroll-conservatively':

 - If there are no partial lines shown, moving the cursor down scrolls
line by line, as intended.

 - If there are partial lines (as happens to me after M-x ruler-mode),
moving the cursor down recenters the cursor to the middle of the window
every time it reaches the last fully-visible line.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u