* Cursor in Splash Screen bug
@ 2002-08-30  7:40 Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2002-08-30  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Hi,
 I am using the latest build from the CVS as on 30th Aug 2002 on W2k
 with MCVC build.
When Emacs is started, the splash screen comes up as usual. You see an
ELONGATED cursor blinking which has the height of the Splash screen
image. This is because the cursor location is at 0 and the image is in
the same row. A fix would be to set the splash screen image from the
second row OR set the cursor location to the end of buffer. Better
still, inhibit the cursor in the startup screen as nothing should/can
be added there.

with regards,
dhruva
--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Home: http://www.geocities.com/gnued/

* Re: Cursor in Splash Screen bug
@ 2002-08-30 12:10 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-08-30 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Bug, Emacs Devel

"Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <seagull@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi,
>  I am using the latest build from the CVS as on 30th Aug 2002 on W2k
>  with MCVC build.
> When Emacs is started, the splash screen comes up as usual. You see an
> ELONGATED cursor blinking which has the height of the Splash screen
> image. This is because the cursor location is at 0 and the image is in
> the same row. A fix would be to set the splash screen image from the
> second row OR set the cursor location to the end of buffer. Better
> still, inhibit the cursor in the startup screen as nothing should/can
> be added there.

This bug is related to RMS' recent change to add the blink-cursor-alist
control the blink-off cursor type.

I have a fix for this which I will commit shortly.
[it includes porting the new feature to the MAC platform as well].

* Re: Cursor in Splash Screen bug
@ 2002-08-30 12:35     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-08-30 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kim F. Storm, Dhruva Krishnamurthy, Emacs Bug, Emacs Devel

On 30 Aug 2002 15:12:05 +0200, no-spam@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) wrote:

> Done.

xdisp.c
xdisp.c(15330) : error C2039: 'x_highlight_frame' : is not a member of
'w32_display_info'
        w32term.h(100) : see declaration of 'w32_display_info'

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Cursor in Splash Screen bug
@ 2002-08-30 13:12   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-08-30 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dhruva Krishnamurthy, Emacs Bug, Emacs Devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> This bug is related to RMS' recent change to add the blink-cursor-alist
> control the blink-off cursor type.
>
> I have a fix for this which I will commit shortly.
> [it includes porting the new feature to the MAC platform as well].

Done.

The fix includes the following enhancements:

* there is a new alternate-cursor-type (similar to cursor-type) which
  you can (buffer local) set to get the blink off cursor type.

* blink-cursor-alist is now consulted also if you set buffer-local
  variable cursor-type different from nil and t.

* cursor-in-non-selected-windows can now be set to a specific cursor
  type.

* Re: Cursor in Splash Screen bug
@ 2002-08-30 14:23       ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-08-30 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kim F. Storm, Dhruva Krishnamurthy, Emacs Bug, Emacs Devel

Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es> writes:

> On 30 Aug 2002 15:12:05 +0200, no-spam@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) wrote:
>
> > Done.
>
> xdisp.c
> xdisp.c(15330) : error C2039: 'x_highlight_frame' : is not a member of
> 'w32_display_info'
>         w32term.h(100) : see declaration of 'w32_display_info'
>

>                                                            /L/e/k/t/u

Sorry 'bout that.  Please try again...

* Re: Cursor in Splash Screen bug
@ 2002-08-30 19:18     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-08-30 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm, seagull, emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

    * there is a new alternate-cursor-type (similar to cursor-type) which
      you can (buffer local) set to get the blink off cursor type.

What use is this feature?  I don't think we should have it unless
there is a specific reason for it.

    * blink-cursor-alist is now consulted also if you set buffer-local
      variable cursor-type different from nil and t.

Wasn't that already so?  If not, I guess you fixed a simple bug.

    * cursor-in-non-selected-windows can now be set to a specific cursor
      type.

That seems ok.

* Re: Cursor in Splash Screen bug
@ 2002-08-30 19:52           ` Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-08-30 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm, seagull, emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

> On 30 Aug 2002 16:23:19 +0200
> no-spam@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) wrote:
>
> > Sorry 'bout that.
>
> Eh, no problem :-)
>
> > Please try again...
>
> I´ve had to transform a
>
>  Lisp_Object Qbox;
>
> from w32fns.c into
>
>  extern Lisp_Object Qbox;
>
> and remove the calls to intern() and staticpro(), but now it works. I
> supose the same will be necessary for xfns.c and/or macfns.c...

I've just done that for macfns.c.

Andrew.

[Kim: thank you for updating the Mac code!]

* Re: Cursor in Splash Screen bug
@ 2002-08-30 22:33         ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-08-30 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dhruva Krishnamurthy, Emacs Bug, Emacs Devel

On 30 Aug 2002 16:23:19 +0200
no-spam@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) wrote:

> Sorry 'bout that.

Eh, no problem :-)

@ 2002-08-30 23:56       ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-08-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: seagull, emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     * there is a new alternate-cursor-type (similar to cursor-type) which
>       you can (buffer local) set to get the blink off cursor type.
>
> What use is this feature?  I don't think we should have it unless
> there is a specific reason for it.

The rationale was that since we can set the cursor-type per-buffer,
we should also be able to set the blink off state in a buffer-local manner.

However, this can be achieved by making blink-cursor-alist buffer
local and set that, so this is indeed superfluous.

I'll remove it.

>     * blink-cursor-alist is now consulted also if you set buffer-local
>       variable cursor-type different from nil and t.
>
> Wasn't that already so?  If not, I guess you fixed a simple bug.

The doc-string said so, but in practice, the blink-cursor-alist was
only consulted when setting the cursor-type frame parameter; the
blink-cursor-alist was not consulted if the (buffer-local) variable
cursor-type was set to a specific cursor type.

@ 2002-08-31  0:18             ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-08-31  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lektu, seagull, emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

Andrew Choi <akochoi@shaw.ca> writes:

> [Kim: thank you for updating the Mac code!]

Pls. notice that the following change still needs to be merged.

	* w32term.c (expose_overlaps): New function.
	(expose_window): Use it to fix the display of overlapping rows.

Also, code to display a hbar cursor need to be added.

* Re: Cursor in Splash Screen bug
@ 2002-08-31  0:55               ` Andrew Choi
From: Andrew Choi @ 2002-08-31  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lektu, seagull, emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

Hi,

> > [Kim: thank you for updating the Mac code!]
>
> Pls. notice that the following change still needs to be merged.
>
> 	* w32term.c (expose_overlaps): New function.
> 	(expose_window): Use it to fix the display of overlapping rows.

I've just taken care of this in macterm.c.

> Also, code to display a hbar cursor need to be added.

I'll work on the cursor stuffs when I can.

Andrew.