* Which files to proofread
@ 2002-08-12 17:05 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-08-12 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

(I should have said this in the previous message.)  Please concentrate
on the files that are actually part of the printed Emacs manual:

    abbrevs.texi ack.texi anti.texi basic.texi buffers.texi building.texi
    calendar.texi cmdargs.texi commands.texi custom.texi dired.texi
    display.texi doclicense.texi entering.texi files.texi fixit.texi
    frames.texi glossary.texi gnu.texi help.texi indent.texi killing.texi
    m-x.texi macos.texi maintaining.texi major.texi mark.texi mini.texi
    misc.texi msdog.texi mule.texi picture.texi programs.texi regs.texi
    rmail.texi screen.texi search.texi sending.texi text.texi trouble.texi
    windows.texi xresources.texi

Proofreading other files is welcome, of course; but it is not
urgently needed.

* Re: Which files to proofread
@ 2002-08-13  6:36 ` Harald.Maier.BW
From: Harald.Maier.BW @ 2002-08-13  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> (I should have said this in the previous message.)  Please concentrate
> on the files that are actually part of the printed Emacs manual:

Hello Richard,

here my comments about the changes in the Emacs manual. I looked only
at the differences with the ediff-files command.

Harald

[ buffer.texi:209 ]

I like the text about C-x C-q but should we not mention this behavior
change too in the antinews section. (Only a suggestion)

[ cmdargs.texi:562 ]

Description of the emacs_dir environment variable. I am using this
variable too under GNU/Linux to switch to the cvs version of emacs.
So I am wondering if this variable is really MS-Windows specific.

[ custom.texi:533 ]

Personally I would replace the sample
,----
| (load "~/.emacs-custom")
| (setq custom-file "~/.emacs-custom")
`----
by
,----
| (setq custom-file "~/.emacs-custom")
| (load custom-file)
`----

[ dired.texi:665 ]

Personally I would replace this text

,----
| ... with the list of file names ...
`----
by
,----
| ... with the list of marked file names ...
|                      ^^^^^^
`----

[ killing.texi:325 ]

This seems to be a typo
,----
|   The yank commands discard certain text properties from the text that
| is thanked, those that might lead to annoying results.  For instance,
|    ^^^^^^^
`----

* Re: Which files to proofread
@ 2002-08-18  3:06 ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-08-18  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I read through glossary.texi and found no inaccuracies or bugs[1].

combining this with Harald's mails, these are the files remaining. So,
folks, please help out by reading through :-) some of the files
below. It was very entertaining and educational for me :)

Never-read files:

>     abbrevs.texi ack.texi anti.texi basic.texi building.texi
>     calendar.texi commands.texi display.texi doclicense.texi
>     entering.texi files.texi fixit.texi frames.texi glossary.texi
>     gnu.texi help.texi indent.texi m-x.texi macos.texi
>     maintaining.texi major.texi mark.texi mini.texi misc.texi
>     msdog.texi mule.texi picture.texi programs.texi regs.texi
>     rmail.texi screen.texi search.texi sending.texi text.texi
>     trouble.texi windows.texi xresources.texi

the following files have been read atleast once:
bufs.texi
cmdargs.texi
custom.texi
dired.texi
killing.texi

If you have proofread some other files, please follow up here, and
update the two lists above :)

[1] one minor thing: the entryfor SpellChecking says: Emacs
spellchecks using ispell.  More accurately, it should be "By, default
....", since emacs can use aspell etc.  But i don't make a big deal of
it.  /me likes GNU's ispell :-)

DG

* Re: Which files to proofread
@ 2002-08-19  0:50   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-08-19  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for keeping track of what files have been read.

To get good coverage, I think we need each file to be read at least
twice.  One person reading a chapter can easily overlook a problem,
because noticing them is hard.

* Re: Which files to proofread
@ 2002-09-02  0:02   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-09-02  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Description of the emacs_dir environment variable. I am using this
    variable too under GNU/Linux to switch to the cvs version of emacs.
    So I am wondering if this variable is really MS-Windows specific.

I don't see any mention of it in the source except in w32.c.
So I think it must be Windows-specific.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-09-02  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for these suggestions.

Would you like to read a chapter or two straight through
to notice things that we haven't changed that are obsolete?
That is really important.

* Re: Which files to proofread
@ 2002-09-02  5:14     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-09-02  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: maierh, emacs-devel

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Description of the emacs_dir environment variable. I am using this
>     variable too under GNU/Linux to switch to the cvs version of emacs.
>     So I am wondering if this variable is really MS-Windows specific.
>
> I don't see any mention of it in the source except in w32.c.
> So I think it must be Windows-specific.

It is Windows-specific.  Normally, Emacs sets its value at startup so
that settings in the Registry (which mimic X resources) that are relative
to emacs_dir would work automagically.

So I'm not sure it's a good idea to set emacs_dir directly.

* Re: Which files to proofread
@ 2002-09-07 10:58     ` Harald.Maier.BW
From: Harald.Maier.BW @ 2002-09-07 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Thanks for these suggestions.
>
> Would you like to read a chapter or two straight through
> to notice things that we haven't changed that are obsolete?
> That is really important.

FYI. I am reading currently the following two chapters of the actual
emacs cvs manual (co on 2002-09-06):

- Fundamental Editing Commands
- Important Text-Changing Commands

I will send my results as bug reports.