* force-mode-line-update in post-command-hook renders scroll-conservatively worthless
@ 2002-07-15 11:30 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-15 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

emacs -q --no-site-file
M-x set-variable scroll-conservatively 1000000
C-x C-n
<down>...                ; Scrolls one line at a time
M-x ruler-mode
<down>...                ; Cursor jumps to the middle of screen
                         ; while scrolling the window

The reason is not ruler-mode, but the fact that it does:

(add-hook 'post-command-hook #'force-mode-line-update nil t)

AFAICS, adding `force-mode-line-update' (or in fact any function that
calls `set-buffer-modified-p') to post-command-hook makes
`scroll-conservatively' useless in all 21.X releases. It worked fine in
20.7.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: force-mode-line-update in post-command-hook renders scroll-conservatively worthless
@ 2002-07-16 13:29 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-16 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I fixed that.

* Re: force-mode-line-update in post-command-hook renders scroll-conservatively worthless
@ 2002-07-16 14:23   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-16 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 07:29:02 -0600 (MDT), Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> I fixed that.

Thanks.

Curiously, activating the ruler-mode still "activates" too the recently
reported redisplay bug. An easy way to see it:

emacs -q --no-site-file
C-h C-n

@ 2002-07-17  3:03     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-17  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Curiously, activating the ruler-mode still "activates" too the recently
    reported redisplay bug. An easy way to see it:

    emacs -q --no-site-file
    C-h C-n
    M-x set-variable scroll-conservatively 1000000
    M-x ruler-mode
    <down>....

It worked for me with the changes I made.  The changes
were installed this morning.  Perhaps that was after you tried it.

* Re: force-mode-line-update in post-command-hook renders scroll-conservatively worthless
@ 2002-07-17  7:35       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-17  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:03:39 -0600 (MDT), Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> It worked for me with the changes I made.  The changes
> were installed this morning.  Perhaps that was after you tried it.

I think I wasn't clear enough. The scrolling bug is now fixed (thanks).

What's still there is the redisplay bug reported by David Ponce and Kim
F. Storm. I mentioned it because the only way I know of triggering it is
activating ruler-mode.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u