* timer.el questions
@ 2002-07-15  8:26 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-15  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Two quiestions about timer.el:

1.- `timer-set-time' and `timer-set-time-with-usecs' say "if optional
     argument DELTA is a non-zero integer, blah blah blah" and then both
     do:

    (aset timer 4 (and (numberp delta) (> delta 0) delta))

    and there's a ChangeLog entry from Richard:

    1996-01-31  Richard Stallman  <rms@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu>

        (timer-set-time, timer-set-time-with-usecs): Allow floating DELTA.

    so, should the documentation be fixed to say "a non-zero number"?

2.- It is `timer-set-time-with-usecs' used anywhere on planet Earth, or
    it is just a case of creeping featuritis? Because the Emacs source
    does not use it, and a search on Google (web and group search) did
    not find anything but a few references to the timer.el source and to
    documentation...

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: timer.el questions
@ 2002-07-15 18:21 ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2002-07-15 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es> writes:
>     (aset timer 4 (and (numberp delta) (> delta 0) delta))
>     so, should the documentation be fixed to say "a non-zero number"?

From the code you quoted, I'd say "a positive number" would be more
accurate.

Ken

* Re: timer.el questions
@ 2002-07-16  6:19   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-16  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:21:26 -0400, Ken Raeburn <raeburn@raeburn.org> wrote:

> From the code you quoted, I'd say "a positive number" would be more
> accurate.

Well, yeah, sure ;-)

I was following the original docstring, but you're right, it's better to
be precise.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: timer.el questions
@ 2002-07-16 13:28 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-16 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

	so, should the documentation be fixed to say "a non-zero number"?

Yes, I will do that.  Thanks.

    2.- It is `timer-set-time-with-usecs' used anywhere on planet Earth, or
	it is just a case of creeping featuritis?

It is possible that this existed before floating point was standardly
enabled in Emacs.

* Re: timer.el questions
@ 2002-07-16 14:02   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-16 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 07:28:36 -0600 (MDT), Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Yes, I will do that.  Thanks.

Uh, I already changed it to "positive number", as Ken suggested.

> It is possible that this existed before floating point was standardly
> enabled in Emacs.

Then perhaps we should remove it. It is apparently not used anywhere and
has a strange interface: how many times will anyone need to take a
current-time, remove its microseconds and add it another microsecond
count, and *then* use that to set a timer? ;-)

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: timer.el questions
@ 2002-07-17  3:04     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-17  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Then perhaps we should remove it. It is apparently not used anywhere and
    has a strange interface: how many times will anyone need to take a
    current-time, remove its microseconds and add it another microsecond
    count, and *then* use that to set a timer? ;-)

Let's mark it obsolete, and the note would say to use the other
function instead.

* Re: timer.el questions
@ 2002-07-17  7:31       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-17  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:04:59 -0600 (MDT), Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Let's mark it obsolete, and the note would say to use the other
> function instead.

Done.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u