* options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-10  9:59 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-10  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

options.el documents that the user should use customize since 20.7, at
least. Shouldn't we move it to lisp/obsolete?

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-10 13:34 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-10 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:59:04 +0200, Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es> wrote:

> options.el documents that the user should use customize since 20.7, at
> least. Shouldn't we move it to lisp/obsolete?

And the same holds true for emacs-lisp/float.el and probably for
emacs-lisp/lmenu.el, BTW.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-10 19:20 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-10 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    options.el documents that the user should use customize since 20.7, at
    least. Shouldn't we move it to lisp/obsolete?

Please do.

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-11 12:01   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-11 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Is lmenu.el really obsolete?  I don't think anything else in Emacs
defines those functions.  Are the XEmacs facilities that it implements
obsolete in XEmacs?  If not, then we should mark lmenu.el as not
obsolete.

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-11 13:13     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-11 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 06:01:05 -0600 (MDT), Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Is lmenu.el really obsolete?

I don't know. I was refering to the fact that the file itself has a
"keywords: obsolete" header.

What with emacs-lisp/float.el? It's still used (or useful) to anyone? In
ten years there's only one non-trivial patch (though that's not proof
enough, of course).

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-11 13:15   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-11 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:20:36 -0600 (MDT), Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Please do.

Don't know the right procedure with CVS. I suppose remove'ing it from
one directory and add'ing it to the other and commiting would suffice,
but I prefer for a more knowledgeable CVS user to do it.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-11 13:47     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-07-11 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> Don't know the right procedure with CVS. I suppose remove'ing it from
> one directory and add'ing it to the other and commiting would suffice,
> but I prefer for a more knowledgeable CVS user to do it.

The CVS manual describes how to do this (it's more or less like you
thought it is).

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-11 14:53     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-07-11 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es> writes:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:20:36 -0600 (MDT), Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > Please do.
>
> Don't know the right procedure with CVS. I suppose remove'ing it from
> one directory and add'ing it to the other and commiting would suffice,
> but I prefer for a more knowledgeable CVS user to do it.
>

>                                                            /L/e/k/t/u

If you have CVS access, you can keep the history if you do this:

a) COPY the options.el,v file to the obsoleted/ directory

Then at your normal checkout:

b) cvs update

c) "cvs remove" the old options.el file with a log messages
   saying it has moved to the obsoleted/ directory.

d) optionally commit (with -f) a change log for the new file
   mentioning that it has been moved to opsoleted/ directory.

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-11 14:56       ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-07-11 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juanma Barranquero, rms, emacs-devel

> If you have CVS access, you can keep the history if you do this:

I meant to say:  If you have a login account on the CVS server, you can:

@ 2002-07-11 15:30       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-07-11 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:47:54 +0300 (IDT), Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote:

> The CVS manual describes how to do this (it's more or less like you
> thought it is).

Still, I'd rather not do it (moving the file, I mean). CVS is a lot of
things, but user-friendly for newbies it is not :)

Also, I don't have access to the CVS server, as Kim has suggested, so I
cannot save the change history.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-11 16:53       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-07-11 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juanma Barranquero, rms, emacs-devel

> If you have CVS access, you can keep the history if you do this:
>
> a) COPY the options.el,v file to the obsoleted/ directory
>
> Then at your normal checkout:
>
> b) cvs update
>
> c) "cvs remove" the old options.el file with a log messages
>    saying it has moved to the obsoleted/ directory.
>
> d) optionally commit (with -f) a change log for the new file
>    mentioning that it has been moved to opsoleted/ directory.

Please don't.  If you then check out "-r EMACS_21.1" you'll get both
the lisp/options.el and the lisp/obsolete/options.el.
CVS just cannot do file moves correctly, and it's not worth trying
that hard.

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-11 16:54     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-07-11 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> Don't know the right procedure with CVS. I suppose remove'ing it from
> one directory and add'ing it to the other and commiting would suffice,

Yes.

> but I prefer for a more knowledgeable CVS user to do it.

Adding/removing doesn't require that much expertise.
I know you can do it!

* Re: options.el obsolete?
@ 2002-07-11 16:56     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-07-11 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lektu, emacs-devel

> Is lmenu.el really obsolete?  I don't think anything else in Emacs
> defines those functions.  Are the XEmacs facilities that it implements
> obsolete in XEmacs?  If not, then we should mark lmenu.el as not
> obsolete.

It's obsolete in the sense that if you want compatible menus between
Emacs and XEmacs you should use easymenu.  That's what everybody does.

Emacs itself of course doesn't use it, and a google search only
turns up "setup.el" (a 1994 package) and ibuf-compat.el which uses it
for Emacs-20 but not for Emacs-21.  Furthermore we definitely want
to deprecate this interface and have people move to easymenu
(or to native Emacs menus).

So please move it to `obsolete'.