* Re: picture mode
@ 2002-06-25 23:32 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-25 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > What is the easiest way to draw a rectangle in picture mode?  The
    > command C-c C-r will draw a rectangle between mark and point, but I
    > can't mark on an empty line.

I am not sure what "can't mark on an empty line" means.
Would you please state a precise test case so I can be sure
I understand?

Please read the Bugs section in the Emacs manual, which provides
guidelines on how to write a bug report to give us the
necessary information so we can fix the bug.

* Re: picture mode
@ 2002-06-26  2:40 ` Duke Patterson
From: Duke Patterson @ 2002-06-26  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

--- Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>     > What is the easiest way to draw a rectangle in
> picture mode?  The
>     > command C-c C-r will draw a rectangle between
> mark and point, but I
>     > can't mark on an empty line.
>
> I am not sure what "can't mark on an empty line"
> means.
> Would you please state a precise test case so I can
> be sure
> I understand?

The following is from the discussion in the
gnu.emacs.help newsgroup:

With `transient-mark-mode' t the region becomes
inactive when you move to a buffer position that is
not yet created by `picture-mode'?

C-f/C-b/C-n/C-p should automatically insert spaces to
extend short lines when necessary. This does not
happen.

I hope the above description is clarifies the problem.

Sincerely,

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

* Re: picture mode
@ 2002-06-26 22:25   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-26 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    With `transient-mark-mode' t the region becomes
    inactive when you move to a buffer position that is
    not yet created by `picture-mode'?

    C-f/C-b/C-n/C-p should automatically insert spaces to
    extend short lines when necessary. This does not
    happen.

    I hope the above description is clarifies the problem.

Alas, it doesn't.  What I need is a precise test case telling me
exactly what to type so I can observe the problem.

@ 2002-06-29 12:42     ` Duke Patterson
From: Duke Patterson @ 2002-06-29 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

--- Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>     With `transient-mark-mode' t the region becomes
>     inactive when you move to a buffer position that
> is
>     not yet created by `picture-mode'?
>
>     C-f/C-b/C-n/C-p should automatically insert
> spaces to
>     extend short lines when necessary. This does not
>     happen.
>
>     I hope the above description is clarifies the
> problem.
>
> Alas, it doesn't.  What I need is a precise test
> case telling me
> exactly what to type so I can observe the problem.
>
> Please read the Bugs section in the Emacs manual,
> which provides
> guidelines on how to write a bug report to give us
> the
> necessary information so we can fix the bug.

Open a new buffer and type M-x picture-mode.

Press C-SPC to mark the current position.

Now, attempt to extend the marked region to the
rectangle size you desire with the following command:

C-f C-f C-f
C-n C-n C-n

This should've marked a region.  Now

C-c C-r should create a rectangle.

This _doesn't_ happen.

@ 2002-06-29 14:21       ` Paul Stoeber
From: Paul Stoeber @ 2002-06-29 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 05:42:25AM -0700, Duke Patterson wrote:
> Open a new buffer and type M-x picture-mode.
>
> Press C-SPC to mark the current position.
>
> Now, attempt to extend the marked region to the
> rectangle size you desire with the following command:
>
> C-f C-f C-f
> C-n C-n C-n
>
> This should've marked a region.  Now
>
> C-c C-r should create a rectangle.
>
> This _doesn't_ happen.

Emacs 21.2.1 doesn't have this problem.

* Re: picture mode
@ 2002-06-29 14:35         ` Paul Stoeber
From: Paul Stoeber @ 2002-06-29 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 02:21:17PM +0000, Paul Stoeber wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 05:42:25AM -0700, Duke Patterson wrote:
> > Open a new buffer and type M-x picture-mode.
> >
> > Press C-SPC to mark the current position.
> >
> > Now, attempt to extend the marked region to the
> > rectangle size you desire with the following command:
> >
> > C-f C-f C-f
> > C-n C-n C-n
> >
> > This should've marked a region.  Now
> >
> > C-c C-r should create a rectangle.
> >
> > This _doesn't_ happen.
>
> Emacs 21.2.1 doesn't have this problem.

But if you set `transient-mark-mode' to `t',
then Emacs 21.2.1 _does_ have this problem.

* Re: picture mode
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-30 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: sigserv, emacs-devel

Does this fix it?

*** picture.el.~1.39.~	Sat Mar  9 23:03:34 2002
--- picture.el	Sun Jun 30 14:06:14 2002
***************
*** 106,117 ****
    (interactive "p\nd")
    (picture-update-desired-column interactive)
    (setq picture-desired-column (max 0 (+ picture-desired-column arg)))
!   (let ((current-column (move-to-column picture-desired-column t)))
!     (if (and (> current-column picture-desired-column)
! 	     (< arg 0))
! 	;; It seems that we have just tried to move to the right
! 	;; column of a multi-column character.
! 	(forward-char -1))))

  (defun picture-backward-column (arg &optional interactive)
    "Move cursor left, making whitespace if necessary.
--- 106,118 ----
    (interactive "p\nd")
    (picture-update-desired-column interactive)
    (setq picture-desired-column (max 0 (+ picture-desired-column arg)))
!   (let (deactivate-mark)
!     (let ((current-column (move-to-column picture-desired-column t)))
!       (if (and (> current-column picture-desired-column)
! 	       (< arg 0))
! 	  ;; It seems that we have just tried to move to the right
! 	  ;; column of a multi-column character.
! 	  (forward-char -1)))))

  (defun picture-backward-column (arg &optional interactive)
    "Move cursor left, making whitespace if necessary.
***************
*** 124,134 ****
    "Move vertically down, making whitespace if necessary.
  With argument, move that many lines."
    (interactive "p")
!   (picture-update-desired-column nil)
!   (picture-newline arg)
!   (let ((current-column (move-to-column picture-desired-column t)))
!     (if (> current-column picture-desired-column)
! 	(forward-char -1))))

  (defvar picture-vertical-step 0
    "Amount to move vertically after text character in Picture mode.")
--- 125,136 ----

@ 2002-07-15  2:40             ` Duke Patterson
From: Duke Patterson @ 2002-07-15  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

--- Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> Does this fix it?

Yes, this patch fixes it!  Thanks a lot!  It wouldn't
apply cleanly to my version of picture.el (emacs
21.1), so I had to apply the changes by hand.

Sincerely,

http://autos.yahoo.com