* Re: repeat isearch-forward-regexp with just C-s C-s also
       [not found] <m27klid6g2.fsf@jidanni.org>
@ 2002-06-03 11:41 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-03 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    OK, but to repeat the last regexp search, another ESC C-s C-s seems
    too much to ask.  How about just C-s C-s?

I am not sure it is a good idea for C-s to do a regexp search.
Repeating the last non-regexp search, which is what it does now,
seems like the right thing to do.

But if users want to try it and report their opinions,
I'd be interested in hearing about it.

* Re: repeat isearch-forward-regexp with just C-s C-s also
@ 2002-06-05 14:33   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-06-05 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jidanni, emacs-devel

>     OK, but to repeat the last regexp search, another ESC C-s C-s seems
>     too much to ask.  How about just C-s C-s?
>
> I am not sure it is a good idea for C-s to do a regexp search.
> Repeating the last non-regexp search, which is what it does now,
> seems like the right thing to do.
>
> But if users want to try it and report their opinions,
> I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I've been using a local patch which makes C-s C-s repeat the last search
(regexp or not) and I find it very useful.  The problem is that I find
M-C-s M-C-s significantly more difficult to hit than C-s C-s, so when
I need to repeat a search many times, C-s C-s is much better.
Another reason is that I rarely use M-C-s but instead I do
`C-s ..blabla.. M-r ..blibli' because I often notice "too late" that I want
a regexp search rather than a plain search, so almost all my regexp
searches are started with C-s rather than with M-C-s or C-u C-s.