* Info navigation is broken
@ 2002-06-02  8:26 David Ponce
From: David Ponce @ 2002-06-02  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Info navigation using [u]p, [n]ext, [p]rev commands is broken in
CVS version of Emacs 21.  Here is a backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Node has no Up")
  signal(error ("Node has no Up"))
  error("Node has no %s" "Up")
  Info-extract-pointer("up")
  Info-up()
* call-interactively(Info-up)

Also it seems that there are two header lines in the Info buffer, like
this:

File: dir, Node: Top This is the top of the INFO tree <== header line
 File: dir, Node: Top This is the top of the INFO tree <== buffer

After commenting out the following line in `Info-setup-header-line'
Info navigation worked fine again.

;;; It is useful to be able to copy the links line out of the buffer
;;; with M-w.
;;;    (narrow-to-region (1+ header-end) (point-max))

Sincerely,
David

In GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt4.0.1381)
 of 2002-05-30 on EBAT311
configured using `configure --with-gcc (2.95)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

* Re: Info navigation is broken
@ 2002-06-02  8:31 ` David Ponce
From: David Ponce @ 2002-06-02  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> After commenting out the following line in `Info-setup-header-line'
> Info navigation worked fine again.
>
> ;;; It is useful to be able to copy the links line out of the buffer
> ;;; with M-w.
>   (narrow-to-region (1+ header-end) (point-max))

Oops!   You should have read :  After uncommenting the abobe line.

Sorry!

* Re: Info navigation is broken
@ 2002-06-03 11:41   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-03 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for the bug report.  Does this patch fix it?

*** info.el.~1.301.~	Wed May 29 12:45:59 2002
--- info.el	Sun Jun  2 20:20:56 2002
***************
*** 1247,1256 ****
      (save-excursion
        (save-restriction
  	(goto-char (point-min))
! 	(when Info-header-line
! 	  ;; expose the header line in the buffer
! 	  (widen)
! 	  (forward-line -1))
  	(let ((bound (point)))
  	  (forward-line 1)
  	  (cond ((re-search-backward (concat name ":") bound t)

@ 2002-06-03 12:05 David Ponce
From: David Ponce @ 2002-06-03 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
> Thanks for the bug report.  Does this patch fix it?

Yes thanks!  Navigation works now.  But there are still two headers:

One in the header line like this (menu Help/Read the Emacs Manual):

Next: Distrib,  Prev: (dir),  Up: (dir)

Another in the buffer (the first line):

File: emacs,  Node: Top,  Next: Distrib,  Prev: (dir),  Up: (dir)

I just started Emacs with emacs -q --no-site-file.

David

* Re: Info navigation is broken
@ 2002-06-04 23:26 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-04 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Yes thanks!  Navigation works now.  But there are still two headers:

Yes, that is deliberate.

* Re: Info navigation is broken
@ 2002-06-05 15:16   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-06-05 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ponced16, emacs-devel

>     Yes thanks!  Navigation works now.  But there are still two headers:
> Yes, that is deliberate.

Can we scroll the buffer so that the first line (the one that duplicates
the content of the header-line) is initially not displayed ?

* Re: Info navigation is broken
@ 2002-06-05 16:39     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-06-05 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@RUM.cs.yale.edu>
> Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 11:16:40 -0400
>
> Can we scroll the buffer so that the first line (the one that duplicates
> the content of the header-line) is initially not displayed ?

I'd second that.

* Re: Info navigation is broken
@ 2002-06-05 23:55       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-06-05 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier+gnu/emacs, emacs-devel

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
> > Can we scroll the buffer so that the first line (the one that duplicates
> > the content of the header-line) is initially not displayed ?
>
> I'd second that.

... or just make the feature optional.  It seems all the comments about
this feature so far are negative.

-Miles

--
`Life is a boundless sea of bitterness'

* Re: Info navigation is broken
@ 2002-06-06  4:45         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-06-06  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 6 Jun 2002, Miles Bader wrote:

> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
> > > Can we scroll the buffer so that the first line (the one that duplicates
> > > the content of the header-line) is initially not displayed ?
> >
> > I'd second that.
>
> ... or just make the feature optional.

Even better.  (I think I already suggested that in the past.)

* Re: Info navigation is broken
@ 2002-06-07  0:44     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-07  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ponced16, emacs-devel

    Can we scroll the buffer so that the first line (the one that duplicates
    the content of the header-line) is initially not displayed ?

It is possible but I think the bad effects exceed the good.