* Re: C-m mapping fails occasionally
       [not found] <9A30DB6D3384D311A73400C0F04065E9222BA2@lacks-exch.lacksvalley.com>
@ 2002-05-24 21:12 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-05-24 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I'm not sure how to evaluate (lookup-key ....),

Type the expression in *scratch* and then type C-j.

						    but when I attempted to M-x
    describe-key C-m I got the following message, perhaps it will be helpful.

    #<EMACS BUG: INVALID DATATYPE (#o37777777743) Save your buffers immediately
    and please report this bug>

That is really bizarre.  It suggests that some data is not merely
wrong for where it is, but totally wrong for Emacs Lisp.

Can someone on emacs-devel work with MattK to investigate this with
GDB?

From: Matt Knowles <MattK@LacksValley.com>
To: "'rms@gnu.org'" <rms@gnu.org>
Subject: RE: C-m mapping fails occasionally
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:35:00 -0500

Forgive my ignorance, and might I also say it's an honor to corresponde with
you...

I'm not sure how to evaluate (lookup-key ....), but when I attempted to M-x
describe-key C-m I got the following message, perhaps it will be helpful.

#<EMACS BUG: INVALID DATATYPE (#o37777777743) Save your buffers immediately
and please report this bug>

If you still would like the results of "evaluate (lookup-key...", please
send me instructions on how to do this directly while inside emacs.

Thanks for your response,
Matt Knowles

From: Matt Knowles @ 2002-05-27 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

(lookup-key (current-local-map) "\C-m")
nil

(lookup-key (global-map) "\C-m")
*mini-buffer message:
Symbol's function definition is void: global-map

Hope this helps.
Matt

@ 2002-05-27 19:49 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2002-05-27 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'rms@gnu.org', emacs-devel

Matt Knowles <MattK@LacksValley.com> writes:

|> (lookup-key (current-local-map) "\C-m")
|> nil
|>
|> (lookup-key (global-map) "\C-m")

That should be

     (lookup-key global-map "\C-m")

Andreas.

SuSE GmbH, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* RE: C-m mapping fails occasionally
@ 2002-05-27 19:52 Matt Knowles
From: Matt Knowles @ 2002-05-27 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'rms@gnu.org', emacs-devel

(lookup-key global-map "\C-m")
mat-newline

Anything else I can do to help?  Are y'all able to recreate the problem?
When I open a *scratch* buffer, type something on the first line to make
indent-relative-maybe not automatically indent some (strange behavior it
seems, to indent when the previous line is blank) and hold down the <Return>
key, the problem appears before I scroll off the page...

Matt

@ 2002-05-27 21:16   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-05-27 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Matt sent me this:

> (lookup-key global-map "\C-m")
> mat-newline
>
> Anything else I can do to help?  Are y'all able to recreate the problem?
> When I open a *scratch* buffer, type something on the first line to make
> indent-relative-maybe not automatically indent some (strange behavior it
> seems, to indent when the previous line is blank) and hold down the <Return>
> key, the problem appears before I scroll off the page...
>
> Matt

Matt,

This isn't the default global binding for C-m, so it is
no wonder it is hard to reproduce.

Can you look in your .emacs file for a line like this:

        (define-key global-map ... 'mat-newline)
or
        (global-set-key ... 'mat-newline)

Then uncomment that line (placing a ; at the beginning of the line)
and restart your emacs.

++kfs

* Re: C-m mapping fails occasionally
@ 2002-05-28  5:15 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-05-28  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: MattK, emacs-devel

    (lookup-key (global-map) "\C-m")
    *mini-buffer message:
    Symbol's function definition is void: global-map

Sorry, the function is current-global-map.

* Re: C-m mapping fails occasionally
@ 2002-05-28  5:19 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-05-28  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, MattK, emacs-devel

    Anything else I can do to help?  Are y'all able to recreate the problem?
    When I open a *scratch* buffer, type something on the first line to make
    indent-relative-maybe not automatically indent some (strange behavior it
    seems, to indent when the previous line is blank) and hold down the <Return>
    key, the problem appears before I scroll off the page...

How about if you send a precise bug report following the guidelines
in the Bugs chapter of the Emacs manual?  That is what we need, in order
to reproduce the problem.

* RE: C-m mapping fails occasionally
@ 2002-05-28 14:31 Matt Knowles
From: Matt Knowles @ 2002-05-28 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Yeah, the whole point was that my re-mapping would only work for a while,
then would quit working.

(fset 'mat-newline
"^[xnewline^M^[xindent-relative-maybe^M.^A^@^S.^B^[xuntabify^M^D")

I will also be filing a Bug Report per Mr. Stallman's request.

Thanks,
Matt

@ 2002-05-29 16:26 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-05-29 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: MattK, emacs-devel

    Yeah, the whole point was that my re-mapping would only work for a while,
    then would quit working.

It looks like the global binding that you set up still exists.
How about evaluating

(key-binding "\C-m")

which will show which binding Emacs actually sees for C-m?

Also try

(mapcar (lambda (map) (cons map (lookup-key map "\C-m")))
	(current-active-maps))

* RE: C-m mapping fails occasionally
@ 2002-05-29 17:58 Matt Knowles
From: Matt Knowles @ 2002-05-29 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

emacs-version:
GNU Emacs 18.57.1 of Mon Apr 22 1991 on server (hpux)

emacs invoked by:
emacs -nw

in *scratch* buffer:
test<Return>
<Return> /* 40 or 41 times */

at this point, my mapping fails.

(key-binding "\C-m")
mat-newline

(mapcar (lambda (map) (cons map (lookup-key map "\C-m")))
	(current-active-maps))
(mini-buffer output):
Symbol's function definition is void: lambda

M-xdescribe-key<Return><Return>
Invalid function: #<EMACS BUG: INVALID DATATYPE (#o37777777743) Save your
buffers immediately and please report this bug>

relevant lines from .emacs file:
(fset 'mat-newline
"^[xnewline^M^[xindent-relative-maybe^M.^A^@^S.^B^[xuntabify^M^D")
(global-unset-key "\C-m")
(global-set-key "\C-m" 'mat-newline)

The problem exists when these are the only contents of my .emacs file.

If there is any more information I can provide, please ask.

Matt

@ 2002-05-31  7:04 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-05-31  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: MattK, emacs-devel

Since this is Emacs 18, I don't think it is useful to try to debug
it.  Would you like to try using Emacs 21?