* Default cursor for x-sensitive-text-pointer-shape
@ 2002-04-19 14:31 Marshall, Simon
From: Marshall, Simon @ 2002-04-19 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know why I've never mentioned this before.  Perhaps because
there are more important things.

Anyway, I don't like the crosshairs used by default for sensitive text,
e.g., customise buttons or dired filenames.  (Naturally, a long time ago
I set x-sensitive-text-pointer-shape in my ~/.emacs.)  All other GUIs I
use use a pointer or a hand (web browsers).  It looks like tool-bar-mode
uses a pointer for buttons.

I think, if this variable is nil, some other cursor should be used.
I suggest that x_set_mouse_color defaults cross_cursor to XC_left_ptr.
Alternatives are XC_hand1 or XC_hand2.

WDYT?  Simon.

* Re: Default cursor for x-sensitive-text-pointer-shape
@ 2002-04-19 16:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-04-19 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "Marshall, Simon" <simon.marshall@misys.com>
> Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:31:04 +0100
>
> I think, if this variable is nil, some other cursor should be used.
> I suggest that x_set_mouse_color defaults cross_cursor to XC_left_ptr.
> Alternatives are XC_hand1 or XC_hand2.
>
> WDYT?

I like the idea.  I vote for the hand* shape.

* Re: Default cursor for x-sensitive-text-pointer-shape
@ 2002-04-19 23:07   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-04-19 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: simon.marshall, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@fencepost.gnu.org> writes:
> > I suggest that x_set_mouse_color defaults cross_cursor to XC_left_ptr.
> > Alternatives are XC_hand1 or XC_hand2.
>
> I like the idea.  I vote for the hand* shape.

Sounds good to me; I also like the hand cursors.

-Miles

--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein

* Re: Default cursor for x-sensitive-text-pointer-shape
@ 2002-04-20 17:27 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-20 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Anyway, I don't like the crosshairs used by default for sensitive text,
    e.g., customise buttons or dired filenames.  (Naturally, a long time ago
    I set x-sensitive-text-pointer-shape in my ~/.emacs.)  All other GUIs I
    use use a pointer or a hand (web browsers).  It looks like tool-bar-mode
    uses a pointer for buttons.

We may as well make Emacs compatible with what users expect.  Can you
send a patch?  If you want to install it yourself, that is ok too.

* Re: Default cursor for x-sensitive-text-pointer-shape
@ 2002-04-22 10:24 Simon Marshall
From: Simon Marshall @ 2002-04-22 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: simon

> We may as well make Emacs compatible with what users expect.  Can you
> send a patch?

Seems those who expressed a preference preferred a hand pointer.
I prefer hand2, as does netscape on my Sun box, so here's a patch.

2002-04-22  Simon Marshall  <simon@gnu.org>

	* xfns.c (x_set_mouse_color): Change default for cross_cursor
	to XC_hand2.

*** /rvcarma/marshals/ftp/emacs-pretest/src/xfns.c.~6~	Mon Mar 18 09:39:15 2002
--- /rvcarma/marshals/ftp/emacs-pretest/src/xfns.c	Mon Apr 22 10:53:22 2002
***************
*** 1517,1523 ****
  	= XCreateFontCursor (dpy, XINT (Vx_sensitive_text_pointer_shape));
      }
    else
!     cross_cursor = XCreateFontCursor (dpy, XC_crosshair);

    if (!NILP (Vx_window_horizontal_drag_shape))
      {
--- 1517,1523 ----
  	= XCreateFontCursor (dpy, XINT (Vx_sensitive_text_pointer_shape));
      }
    else
!     cross_cursor = XCreateFontCursor (dpy, XC_hand2);

    if (!NILP (Vx_window_horizontal_drag_shape))
      {

Diff finished at Mon Apr 22 11:20:09