* Unmapped menus
@ 2002-04-15 21:54 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-15 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    I think this patch only works around the bug.  The bug is that the
    menu does not get unmapped when the main window is unmapped.

Can anyone implement unmapping of menus when the Emacs frame's window
is unmapped?  We need to do that, and it would be much easier if
someone who has experience with these things were to do it.

* Re: Unmapped menus
@ 2002-04-19 20:34 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2002-04-19 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, pmr

>     I think this patch only works around the bug.  The bug is that the
>     menu does not get unmapped when the main window is unmapped.
>
> Can anyone implement unmapping of menus when the Emacs frame's window
> is unmapped?  We need to do that, and it would be much easier if
> someone who has experience with these things were to do it.

This is not a solution.  Some window managers (fvwm at least) lets you
move in short increments towards the next workspace.
If what we see is workspace 1 it kind of looks like this (M is a menu):

   ------------------------------
   | workspace1   | workspace2  |
   | ----------   |             |
   | | M      |   |             |
   | | Emacs  |   |             |
   | ----------   |             |
   ------------------------------

By using ALT-Right arrow one can move the Emacs gradually towards workspace 2

   ------------------------------
   | workspace1   | workspace2  |
   |       | Emacs  |           |

so what you see is part of the Emacs main window, but the
menu is left behind, outside the main window.  In no situaton is the Emacs
window unmapped.  Thus, a keyboard grab to prevent this is the only solution.
It what other applications (X toolkits really) do.

	Jan D.