* Re: core dump while in gnus
       [not found] <200204091816.g39IG7S113949@jupiter.akutech-local.de>
@ 2002-04-15 22:00 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-15 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    (gdb) p *current_buffer
    $7 = {
      size = 537002092,
      next = 0x10765200,
      own_text = {
	beg = 0x4060018 <Address 0x4060018 out of bounds>,

If this is what happens, I suggest you add code at the places
that set the beg field which will check whether the new
value is invalid.  That way, when it happens again, you will
catch it earlier and you might be able to learn more.

* Re: core dump while in gnus
@ 2002-04-16  6:19   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-04-16  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ralfixx, emacs-devel

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     (gdb) p *current_buffer
>     $7 = {
>       size = 537002092,
>       next = 0x10765200,
>       own_text = {
> 	beg = 0x4060018 <Address 0x4060018 out of bounds>,
>
> If this is what happens, I suggest you add code at the places
> that set the beg field which will check whether the new
> value is invalid.

The `size' member looks very suspicious as well, no?

* Re: core dump while in gnus
@ 2002-04-16  8:40     ` Ralf Fassel
From: Ralf Fassel @ 2002-04-16  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

* Eli Zaretskii
| >     (gdb) p *current_buffer
| >     $7 = {
| >       size = 537002092,
| >       next = 0x10765200,
| >       own_text = {
| > 	beg = 0x4060018 <Address 0x4060018 out of bounds>,
| >
| > If this is what happens, I suggest you add code at the places
| > that set the beg field which will check whether the new
| > value is invalid.

The problem is of course that this is the `current buffer', which is
changed quite often, and I cannot reliably reproduce this bug.
However, it should be possible to locate the last few changes when it
crashes.  I will have a check.

| The `size' member looks very suspicious as well, no?

No.  Remember, this is an EMACS_INT:

    (gdb) p 537002092
    $1 = 537002092
    (gdb) xint
    $2 = 131180

131kB is not unusual for a NNTP process buffer while reading news.

R'

* Re: core dump while in gnus
@ 2002-04-17 16:04       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-17 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

    No.  Remember, this is an EMACS_INT:

	(gdb) p 537002092
	$1 = 537002092
	(gdb) xint
	$2 = 131180

That size field is the pseudovector object's size field.
Its value has nothing to do with the size of the text.
It is correct for a buffer.