* lisp/play/studly.el
@ 2002-04-11 15:50 Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-04-11 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is the comment below really accurate?  From the little I have
understood, a piece of art does not end up in the public domain just
because you don't include the copyright notice.

And if you look at the first line, there is a copyright sign there.
And a trade mark as well.  Hm.

;;; studly.el --- StudlyCaps (tm)(r)(c)(xxx)

;;; This is in the public domain, since it was distributed
;;; by its author without a copyright notice in 1986.

* Re: lisp/play/studly.el
@ 2002-04-11 22:48 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2002-04-11 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is the comment below really accurate?  From the little I have
> understood, a piece of art does not end up in the public domain just
> because you don't include the copyright notice.

Currently, the Berne convention says that anything you produce in this
area is automatically copyrighted.  But the Berne convention is not
automatically law in all countries, so in general, and in significant
parts of the world, and in present times, no copyright is needed.

Thus you need to know where the work originated, what the laws where
at the time, how your country would deal with the situation, etc.  And
probably you'd have to go to court to know for sure.

IANAL.

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/

* Re: lisp/play/studly.el
@ 2002-04-12 19:49 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-12 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Is the comment below really accurate?  From the little I have
    understood, a piece of art does not end up in the public domain just
    because you don't include the copyright notice.

It was true in the US at that time.