* emacs mode for gdb using GDB/MI
@ 2002-03-26 23:08 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2002-03-26 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

(This is a continuation of a thread titled Suggestion/Offer on bug-gnu-emacs)

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, rms wrote:

> We could add some new low-level features to Emacs for this, if
> implementing them is feasible.  I added the overlay-arrow feature
> for the sake of gud.el, way back when.

It would be desirable have symbols to mark breakpoints and the current location.
Perhaps these things are possible in Emacs 21 with its image support Emacs 21.
The fringe might be a suitable place to put them

However, while I have frequently experimented with the lisp interface of Emacs,
I'm not familiar with its C code so this part would be outside my scope.

* Re: emacs mode for gdb using GDB/MI
@ 2002-03-27  6:39 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-03-27  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Nick Roberts wrote:

> It would be desirable have symbols to mark breakpoints and the current location.

Agreed.

In addition, some GUI front-ends to debuggers mark the locations of
breakpoints and the current execution line with thin horizontal lines
drawn across the scroll bar (this makes getting to those places by
dragging the scroll-bar thumb a whole lot easier).  I'm not saying Emacs
should have the exact same implementation, but perhaps something similar.

> Perhaps these things are possible in Emacs 21 with its image support Emacs 21.
> The fringe might be a suitable place to put them
>
> However, while I have frequently experimented with the lisp interface of Emacs,
> I'm not familiar with its C code so this part would be outside my scope.

It would be nice to have a Lisp API to put images on the fringe, I think.

* Re: emacs mode for gdb using GDB/MI
@ 2002-03-28  4:56 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-28  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    It would be desirable have symbols to mark breakpoints and the current location.
    Perhaps these things are possible in Emacs 21 with its image support Emacs 21.
    The fringe might be a suitable place to put them

To start with, breakpoint icons could go in the display margin--that
way, you could implement it in Lisp with the existing features.  Later
on we could implement something to put these icons in the fringe.

For the current location, you should use the overlay-arrow feature.
I think it does