* Merging forked versions of regex.c
@ 2002-03-18  9:06 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-18  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Various GNU programs such as Emacs and Glibc have separate forked
versions of the file regex.c.  It would be good to clean up this mess,
to reunite the forked versions.

Would someone like to work on this?

* Re: Merging forked versions of regex.c
@ 2002-03-18 13:27 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-03-18 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> Various GNU programs such as Emacs and Glibc have separate forked
> versions of the file regex.c.  It would be good to clean up this mess,
> to reunite the forked versions.
>
> Would someone like to work on this?

Unfortunately, this task is now harder because glibc has recently
adopted a new (completely rewritten) regex implementation, which is
presently unusable by emacs (re_search_2 is implemented by mallocing a
buffer to hold the two strings, copying them into it, and then
searching!!!).  Also, Tom Lord has examined it, and he claims that it
has other serious problems that make it currently unsuitable for general
use [I haven't seen any response to this].

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen

* Re: Merging forked versions of regex.c
@ 2002-03-19  8:43   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-19  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Unfortunately, this task is now harder because glibc has recently
    adopted a new (completely rewritten) regex implementation, which is
    presently unusable by emacs (re_search_2 is implemented by mallocing a
    buffer to hold the two strings, copying them into it, and then
    searching!!!).  Also, Tom Lord has examined it, and he claims that it
    has other serious problems that make it currently unsuitable for general
    use [I haven't seen any response to this].

People will have to study whether those problems are true.  Supposing
they get fixed, how hard is it to modify the code to work for Emacs?
Could you study that?