* overlay start/end marker access funs?
@ 2002-03-12  2:51 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-03-12  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wanted to augment `describe-text-at' to print the start/end
insertion-types of overlays, but there doesn't seem to be any way to
actually get that info in elisp.

So, I thought it might be nice to add `overlay-start-marker'and
`overlay-end-marker' access functions -- then one could use
`marker-insertion-type' to do what I want.

Does anyone see a problem with allowing elisp access to these markers?
(or is there one already, and I'm missing it?)

[If there is a problem, I guess something like `overlay-start-insertion-type'
and `overlay-end-insertion-type' would be OK, then.]

Thanks,

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge

* Re: overlay start/end marker access funs?
@ 2002-03-12 18:07 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-03-12 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I wanted to augment `describe-text-at' to print the start/end
> insertion-types of overlays, but there doesn't seem to be any way to
> actually get that info in elisp.
>
> So, I thought it might be nice to add `overlay-start-marker'and
> `overlay-end-marker' access functions -- then one could use
> `marker-insertion-type' to do what I want.
>
> Does anyone see a problem with allowing elisp access to these markers?
> (or is there one already, and I'm missing it?)
>
> [If there is a problem, I guess something like `overlay-start-insertion-type'
> and `overlay-end-insertion-type' would be OK, then.]

The lack of this functionality is already noted in subr.el in
the definition of `copy-overlay'.  So I agree it would be good to have.

* Re: overlay start/end marker access funs?
@ 2002-03-12 20:29 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-12 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Does anyone see a problem with allowing elisp access to these markers?
    (or is there one already, and I'm missing it?)

That would make it possible to call move-marker on them,
which would mess up the overlay data structure.

So it would be better to add a function that only provides access
to the insertion types.