* [kzeitler@lucent.com: Re: emacs loops after dabbrv-expand in (inviolable) minibuffer]
@ 2002-03-09 10:49 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-09 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

The bug in dabbrev that causes this loop is fixed, I believe.
But the bug that C-g does not escape that loop on some systems is not fixed.
Can anyone investigate and find the cause?

To: rms@gnu.org
Subject: Re: emacs loops after dabbrv-expand in (inviolable) minibuffer
From: Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler@lucent.com>
Date: 07 Mar 2002 17:40:42 +0100

    Richard>     now with the patch you sent me for dabbrev, after step 2 I
    Richard>     execute M-x load-library <patched-dabbrev> and now in step 6
    Richard>     I try to use dabbrev-expand for both strings (the original
    Richard>     and the replacement string). It works for the first string
    Richard>     but not for the 2nd string. Again emacs loops.
    Richard>
    Richard> I can't reproduce this.  Maybe I could if you sent a *precise*
    Richard> test case.  "Load a file" and "use dabbrev-expand (M-/) to expand
    Richard> the minibuffer input" are not precise.

ok, I try to be more precise. Originally I ran in to this problem cause I
wanted to change a set-face-background call to a set-face-foreground
in one of my el files (and I'm an avid user of dynamic abbrev). So here's
how I reproduce this bug.

1. start emacs with -q --no-site-file
2. (the original dabbrev package that comes with 21.1 is used)
3. M-x customize-variable minibuffer-prompt-properties
   turn on the Inviolable option and set for current session
4. load a file with e.g. the following contents
- ----- cut -----
(set-face-background 'trailing-whitespace "Gray25")
- ----- cut -----
5. M-x query-replace
   and now enter as regexp "s" followed by "M-/"
=> emacs loops on HP-UX 10.20, Solaris 5.8 and GNU/Linux but
   - on HP-UX 10.20 C-g does not work
   - on Solaris 5.8 C-g does work (most of the time), but when I open a 2nd
     frame (C-x 5 2) before I try the query replace, C-g doesn't interrupt
     anymore
   - on GNU/Linux C-g always works

now I perform the same steps but first I load your patched dabbrev file

1. start emacs with -q --no-site-file
2. load-library <patched-dabbrev.elc>
3. M-x customize-variable minibuffer-prompt-properties
   turn on the Inviolable option and set for current session
4. load a file with e.g. the following contents
- ----- cut -----
(set-face-background 'trailing-whitespace "Gray25")
- ----- cut -----
5a. M-x query-replace
   and now enter as regexp "s" followed by "M-/", this works
5b. press return and now try to enter as replacement string again
   "s" followed by "M-/"
=> emacs loops on HP-UX 10.20 and Solaris 5.8 but not on GNU/Linux

as I said in one of my previous posts XTread_socket never gets called
once emacs loops. Could it be that one of the lisp functions/macros, e.g.
save-match-data or unwind-protect disables/postpones interrupts?

Klaus

- --
|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             kzeitler@lucent.com  |

* Re: [kzeitler@lucent.com: Re: emacs loops after dabbrv-expand in (inviolable) minibuffer]
@ 2002-03-09 12:38 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-03-09 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 03:49:25 -0700 (MST)
>
> The bug in dabbrev that causes this loop is fixed, I believe.
> But the bug that C-g does not escape that loop on some systems is not fixed.
> Can anyone investigate and find the cause?

Can you tell where did Emacs loop before the bug was fixed?  Since it
is now fixed, it's not trivial to find where it was looping.

* Re: [kzeitler@lucent.com: Re: emacs loops after dabbrv-expand in (inviolable) minibuffer]
@ 2002-03-10  5:04   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-10  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

My dabbrev.el change on Feb 3 is what fixed the loop.  Just use an
older version of dabbrev.el to make the loop happen once again.