* Source code for HTML manuals on Savannah?
@ 2010-10-02 19:50 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2010-10-02 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Where can I find the scripts that are used to generate the HTML versions of the manuals to contributed packages like Tramp or CC Mode (as on Savannah [1])?

I have tried this with the latest versions of gendocs.sh and the template file that comes with it (and the latest version of Texinfo), but unfortunately, the index file that I'm getting is faulty.
It seems that the index is generated, but inserted into the wrong part of the HTML document, so this is of no use.

Generating the normal Emacs manual and also the Lisp reference works fine.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/tramp/index.html

* Re: Source code for HTML manuals on Savannah?
@ 2010-10-02 22:32 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-10-02 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> Where can I find the scripts that are used to generate the HTML
> versions of the manuals to contributed packages like Tramp or CC Mode
> (as on Savannah [1])?

I did it with a series of elisp scripts too hideous to show in public.
If you need them, I can send you a copy.

* Re: Source code for HTML manuals on Savannah?
@ 2010-10-03  3:51   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-03  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: david.reitter, emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 18:32:54 -0400
> Cc: Emacs-Devel devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Where can I find the scripts that are used to generate the HTML
> > versions of the manuals to contributed packages like Tramp or CC Mode
> > (as on Savannah [1])?
>
> I did it with a series of elisp scripts too hideous to show in public.
> If you need them, I can send you a copy.

What's wrong with "makeinfo --html"?

* Re: Source code for HTML manuals on Savannah?
@ 2010-10-03  4:24     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-10-03  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: david.reitter, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
>> Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 18:32:54 -0400
>> Cc: Emacs-Devel devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>>
>> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Where can I find the scripts that are used to generate the HTML
>> > versions of the manuals to contributed packages like Tramp or CC Mode
>> > (as on Savannah [1])?
>>
>> I did it with a series of elisp scripts too hideous to show in public.
>> If you need them, I can send you a copy.
>
> What's wrong with "makeinfo --html"?

That's what I started with, and then I added a doctype line (which was
missing, http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=214729), did
some fixes to get it to validate as HTML 4.01 Transitional, and changed
the header to use the GNU website's stylesheet (makeinfo embeds the
stylesheet in the document itself), and prettified the table of
contents.

* Re: Source code for HTML manuals on Savannah?
@ 2010-10-03 14:09     ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2010-10-03 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

On Oct 2, 2010, at 11:51 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I did it with a series of elisp scripts too hideous to show in public.
>> If you need them, I can send you a copy.
>
> What's wrong with "makeinfo --html"?

Thanks, makeinfo alone seems to work just fine.
I won't bother with gendocs any longer.