* Detecting BOM for UTF files
@ 2003-10-15 13:55 Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2003-10-15 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I recently had to switch my .emacs to UTF-8 encoding, because I was
annoyed with proper encoding of french acccents between my home Emacs
(win + linux) and my work Emacs (Mac OS X).

I saw then that Emacs cannot recognize automagically the UTF format of
my .emacs when reloading it.
I seen that there is neither BOM (byte order mark) at the beginning,
nor adding one helps.

It was also fixed by adding

; -*- mode: emacs-lisp; coding: utf-8; -*-

at the begining.

Emacs seems to handle properly UTF files, but couldn't he "guess" their
encoding by reading BOMs ?

Sébastien Kirche