* Re: gdb-ui and Mac OS X
       [not found]               ` <m14qs7e4v1.fsf-monnier+emacs@empanada.iro.umontreal.ca>
@ 2004-03-30 18:14                 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2004-03-30 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > BTW, I still like the --fullname behavior of not opening any file
 > at startup.  More specifically, when I start gdb --ann=3 emacs, GUD opens
 > up a new window showing the src/emacs.c file, which I will never need/want
 > to look at in 99.9% of the cases.  Can this be changed?

Sure. I was just copying standard behaviour. A while back, Jan D said
something similar so maybe its not such a good idea. He added:

Jan D> I frequently do like this:
Jan D> Go to line in file where I would like to break
Jan D> C-x 2
Jan D> start gdb in the upper window.

It could work like --fullname currently does (as you and Jan describe). Or if
"\\*gud-.*\\*\\(\\|<[0-9]+>\\)" is removed from same-window-regexps,  you don't
need to split the buffer as the GUD buffer will appear in a new window.

In either case the source buffer woouldn't have gud-minor-mode set so
breakpoints could only be set with a global binding (e.g C-x SPC). Setting
gud-minor-mode could be done but it might be a bit messy as in some cases the
user might not want it set.

Are there any other ideas?

Nick

* Re: gdb-ui and Mac OS X
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-03-30 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> BTW, I still like the --fullname behavior of not opening any file
>> at startup.  More specifically, when I start gdb --ann=3 emacs, GUD opens
>> up a new window showing the src/emacs.c file, which I will never need/want
>> to look at in 99.9% of the cases.  Can this be changed?
> Sure.  I was just copying standard behaviour.

I'm not sure what is the current behavior in Emacs and what is "standard".
Does it simply always open a new dinwo showing the file that contains
`main'?  If so, I find it inconvenient.

Maybe it's OK in other GUI debuggers because their environment is different:
they probably always have one source-code-view window, so they may as well
show the `main' function rather than keep the window empty.

> It could work like --fullname currently does (as you and Jan describe).
> Or if "\\*gud-.*\\*\\(\\|<[0-9]+>\\)" is removed from same-window-regexps,
> you don't need to split the buffer as the GUD buffer will appear in
> a new window.

The splitting for *gud* is another independent issue.  I'd rather focus on
the issue at hand which is the fact that the file holding the `main'
function is displayed.

> In either case the source buffer woouldn't have gud-minor-mode set so
> breakpoints could only be set with a global binding (e.g C-x SPC).

Also this is another independent issue: how to turn on gud-minor-mode in
the right buffers.  It's a difficult question, but I'd rather avoid it for
now, lest we get lost in endless arguments.

* Re: gdb-ui and Mac OS X
@ 2004-03-31  6:38                     ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-03-31  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nick Roberts, emacs-devel

> The splitting for *gud* is another independent issue.  I'd rather
> focus on
> the issue at hand which is the fact that the file holding the `main'
> function is displayed.

I agree that this is the main issue.  Maybe there should be a way to
customize this, i.e. old behaviour versus new?

The reason other debuggers display main is probably because they are not
editors, and usually does not have a lot of files already opened and
displayed.

	Jan D.

* gdb-ui at startup
@ 2004-03-31 23:50                       ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2004-03-31 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

 > > The splitting for *gud* is another independent issue.  I'd rather
 > > focus on
 > > the issue at hand which is the fact that the file holding the `main'
 > > function is displayed.
 >
 > I agree that this is the main issue.  Maybe there should be a way to
 > customize this, i.e. old behaviour versus new?

By default, it should now start up in the way you want. Hopefully, I've not
broken anything else in the process.

Nick