* Questions about the speedbar
@ 2003-05-28 19:54 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-05-28 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to use the speedbar for displaying the value of variables when
debugging with `M-x gdba'. The speedbar uses its own frame which isn't a problem
with a graphical display but with a text terminal only one frame is visible at
any given time. This would be inconvenient for debugging as the user would have
to move back and forth between frames.

Can the speedbar be configured to work in the parent frame i.e just have its
own buffer?

Can a text terminal be configured so that two frames could be placed side by
side?

I suspect the answer to both questions is no. I only want a subset of the
speedbar's functionality: that of expanding or contracting a list when diving
in or out of an array or structure (I don't want to visit any files, nodes etc
from it). I could probably adapt some of the lisp functions in speedbar.el for
my needs. In the interests of reuse and so that I don't re-invent the wheel,
could someone familiar with this file direct me towards the most relevant
functions and suggest how they could be adapted to work in a buffer.

Rather hopefully,

Nick

PS For the interested: This would use GDB's variable objects as described in the
info manual under GDB/MI.

* Re: Questions about the speedbar
@ 2003-05-29  3:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-29  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Nick Roberts <nick@nick.uklinux.net>
> Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 20:54:30 +0100
>
> Can the speedbar be configured to work in the parent frame i.e just have its
> own buffer?
>
> Can a text terminal be configured so that two frames could be placed side by
> side?
>
> I suspect the answer to both questions is no.

I think you are right in suspecting that.

* Re: Questions about the speedbar
@ 2003-05-29  8:37 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-29  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts <nick@nick.uklinux.net> writes:

> Can the speedbar be configured to work in the parent frame i.e just
> have its own buffer?

I think that's what ECB does, so you may want to talk with its
developers.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Questions about the speedbar
@ 2003-05-29 21:47 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-05-29 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> > Can the speedbar be configured to work in the parent frame i.e just
> > have its own buffer?

> I think that's what ECB does, so you may want to talk with its
> developers.

ECB isn't part of Emacs, although on Sourceforge it says it is GPL. Is it a
good idea to reuse this code? Presumably the copyright header of any resulting
code would have to be amended as it would not belong solely to the FSF.

Nick

* Re: Questions about the speedbar
@ 2003-05-30  6:04 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-30  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts <nick@nick.uklinux.net> writes:

>> > Can the speedbar be configured to work in the parent frame i.e just
>> > have its own buffer?
>
>> I think that's what ECB does, so you may want to talk with its
>> developers.
>
> ECB isn't part of Emacs, although on Sourceforge it says it is
> GPL. Is it a good idea to reuse this code? Presumably the copyright
> header of any resulting code would have to be amended as it would
> not belong solely to the FSF.

Yes, before snarfing code from them, you may need to talk with them.
If code can't be snarfed, I guess they can say what needs to be done
in principle.  Then it can be reimplemented.

--
This line is not blank.