* Emacs for Workshop?
@ 2002-09-30 16:34 Marshall, Simon
From: Marshall, Simon @ 2002-09-30 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Sun Workshop quite a lot; it's a graphical interface on top of dbx
that can use XEmacs or Emacs as the source file editor.  It works very
well with XEmacs; within XEmacs you get buttons for major actions such
as setting breakpoints (breakpoints are shown in the margin) and moving
up and down stack frames.

The question is, although this might be the wrong place to ask, is
anyone aware of a package that supports Emacs for Sun Workshop with
these sorts of features?  The Emacs-21 margin and toolbar seem made for
it.

* Re: Emacs for Workshop?
@ 2002-10-01  6:18 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-01  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

GDB is better than dbx, so why not use GDB mode in Emacs?

* RE: Emacs for Workshop?
@ 2002-10-01  9:58 Marshall, Simon
From: Marshall, Simon @ 2002-10-01  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

(Unfortunately, gdb-5.2.1 doesn't seem to be able to read the symbol
table generated by the Sun Workshop compiler.  Possibly gdb needs to be
told where they are other than the executable, but I haven't managed to
work out if that is the case or how to do it.)

But, more importantly for me as a user, GUD is not as good (no pun
intended) as Workshop/XEmacs.  Although there is a nice arrow in the
margin to show the current execution line, GUD does not show breakpoints
in the same way, does not allow me to interactively manipulate lists of
breakpoints, e.g., to enable or disable individual breakpoints or add
breakpoints in a variety of ways.  Workshop/Emacs puts program output in
a different window from debugger output.  I don't have to tell
Workshop/XEmacs where source files are.

It also could do with buttons rather than menu items for common
commands.  It's a pain to have to do C-x C-a C-n or even select a menu
entry when all you want to do is move one line.  Its menu could also be
more extensive.

Workshop/XEmacs is simply easier to use and more powerful.  I'd be happy
to help in making GUD better, though I don't have a lot of time at the
moment to implement large changes.

Simon.

@ 2002-10-07 20:32 Nick Roberts
       [not found] ` <E17yy3P-0002Rq-00@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2002-10-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Simon Marshall writes (Mon, 30 Sep 2002) :

> I use Sun Workshop quite a lot; it's a graphical interface on top of dbx
> that can use XEmacs or Emacs as the source file editor.  It works very
> well with XEmacs; within XEmacs you get buttons for major actions such
> as setting breakpoints (breakpoints are shown in the margin) and moving
> up and down stack frames.

> The question is, although this might be the wrong place to ask, is
> anyone aware of a package that supports Emacs for Sun Workshop with
> these sorts of features?  The Emacs-21 margin and toolbar seem made for
> it.

FWIW I am writing a mode for gdb that uses these features. It is not in the CVS
repository yet but it is my understanding that it will go in there. IMHO it
works better with gdb than GUD does but, although it may be grand, there is
nothing unified about it i.e it doesn't work with dbx.

> Unfortunately, gdb-5.2.1 doesn't seem to be able to read the symbol
> table generated by the Sun Workshop compiler.

This mode, which is based on an earlier file called gdba.el, uses a feature of
gdb called annotations and so could not be adapted for dbx. Gdb could of
course be used on a Sun workstation in conjunction with gcc.

For more see http://www.nick.uklinux.net

Nick

* Re: Emacs for Workshop?
       [not found]   ` <15779.18225.456404.747155@nick.uklinux.net>
@ 2002-10-10  8:41     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-10  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > Do you still need icons for emacs? ("down", "next", "finish", "goto",
    > "print", "remove", "step", "up"
    > And apologies for the delay.

    to which I have yet to reply. Perhaps you can give me some direction as to
    who I should pursue.

Please write again to both of them!  We don't care which one does the
job, as long as one of them does it.

			 It also occurred to me that it might be useful if the
    toolbar buttons could display a string rather than use an icon so that the
    words "step", "next" etc. could appear directly on the button.

That could be a good feature--would you like to implement it?

* Re: Emacs for Workshop?
@ 2002-10-10 20:32       ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2002-10-10 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman writes:

 >  >		 It also occurred to me that it might be useful if the
 >  >  toolbar buttons could display a string rather than use an icon so that the
 >  >  words "step", "next" etc. could appear directly on the button.
 >
 > That could be a good feature--would you like to implement it?

It's not that I wouldn't like to but it's outside my scope. It means delving
into the c code and X, right ? I'm sure there's someone lurking on this
mailing list that could do a better job than me.

Nick

* Re: Emacs for Workshop?
@ 2002-10-11 12:44         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-11 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    It's not that I wouldn't like to but it's outside my scope. It means delving
    into the c code and X, right ? I'm sure there's someone lurking on this
    mailing list that could do a better job than me.

There probably are some--the question is, would one of them like to
implement this feature?