* read-key-sequence bug?
@ 2005-12-01 13:58 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2005-12-01 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.10)
 of 2005-12-01 on localhost
X server distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60802000
configured using
`configure '--with-gtk' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign''

I noticed this with radio button menu items, which I don't think it's a normal
behavior.  Here is a scenario:

emacs -Q (the scroll-bar is on the left by default)
C-h k
Select menu "Options", "Show/hide", "Scroll-bar", "On the Right"
The scroll bar is actually moved on the right!
And the help buffer displays:

----- <menu-bar> <options> <showhide> <showhide-scroll-bar> <left>
runs the command menu-bar-left-scroll-bar
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `menu-bar.el'.
It is bound to <menu-bar> <options> <showhide> <showhide-scroll-bar>
<left>.
(menu-bar-left-scroll-bar)

Display scroll bars on the left of each window.
-----

I tried the same scenario with `read-key-sequence'.  It runs the
radio-button menu item command too, and returns the currently selected
radio-button item instead of the one selected on the menu, that is
 [(menu-bar) options showhide showhide-scroll-bar left]
instead of
 [(menu-bar) options showhide showhide-scroll-bar right]

When selecting a menu item which is not a radio-button, describe-key
and read-key-sequence seem to work as expected.

Do others observe that?

Sincerely,
David

* Re: read-key-sequence bug?
@ 2005-12-01 15:49 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-12-01 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David PONCE wrote:
> C-h k
> Select menu "Options", "Show/hide", "Scroll-bar", "On the Right"
> The scroll bar is actually moved on the right!
> And the help buffer displays:
>
> ----- <menu-bar> <options> <showhide> <showhide-scroll-bar> <left>
> runs the command menu-bar-left-scroll-bar
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `menu-bar.el'.
> It is bound to <menu-bar> <options> <showhide> <showhide-scroll-bar>
> <left>.
> (menu-bar-left-scroll-bar)
>
> Display scroll bars on the left of each window.
> -----
>
> Do others observe that?

Not here. It may be GTK specific.

* Re: read-key-sequence bug?
@ 2005-12-01 19:38   ` David Ponce
From: David Ponce @ 2005-12-01 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

 >>Do others observe that?
 >>

 > Not here. It may be GTK specific.

Yes, it seems GTK specific.  I rebuilt without GTK:

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
  of 2005-12-01 on localhost
X server distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60802000
configured using
  `configure 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign''

and `describe-key', and `read-key-sequence', work as expected when I
select a radio-button menu item.

Sincerely,
David

* Re: read-key-sequence bug?
@ 2005-12-12 10:20 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2005-12-12 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jan.h.d

Hi,

> In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.10)
>  of 2005-12-01 on localhost
> X server distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60802000
> configured using
> `configure '--with-gtk' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign''
>
> I noticed this with radio button menu items, which I don't think
> it's a normal behavior.  Here is a scenario:
>
> emacs -Q (the scroll-bar is on the left by default)
> C-h k
> Select menu "Options", "Show/hide", "Scroll-bar", "On the Right"
> The scroll bar is actually moved on the right!
> And the help buffer displays:
>
> ----- <menu-bar> <options> <showhide> <showhide-scroll-bar> <left>
> runs the command menu-bar-left-scroll-bar
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `menu-bar.el'.
> It is bound to <menu-bar> <options> <showhide> <showhide-scroll-bar>
> <left>.
> (menu-bar-left-scroll-bar)
>
> Display scroll bars on the left of each window.
> -----
[...]

Just to let you know that, after cvs update of Emacs this morning, I
noticed that the following change fixed the above problem.

2005-12-12  Jan Djärv  <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>

	* xmenu.c (menubar_selection_callback): Do nothing if the callback
	is for an unselected radio menu item.

Thanks Jan!

Sincerely,
David