* [spiegel@gnu.org: No characters, only boxes in splash screen]
@ 2002-06-03 22:36 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-03 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Can you help him debug this, and explain to us why it can't
display the splash screen with this setting?

Subject: No characters, only boxes in splash screen
From: Andre Spiegel <spiegel@gnu.org>
To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
Date: 02 Jun 2002 15:48:54 +0200

When I start up emacs-21.2.90 under X, the splash screen does not show
any characters, only boxes.  I think this is due to my resource setting:
Emacs*font: neep-iso8859-15-14.  (When I remove that setting, I get a
correct splash screen in Helvetica.)

The only text that does appear correctly in the splash screen is the
small copyright line at the bottom.

Emacs uses the font that I specified in the resource just fine in all
buffers, except for the splash screen.  I think Emacs should make sure
that an available font is used for the splash screen, either the one
that I specified in the resource, or a fallback.

* Re: [spiegel@gnu.org: No characters, only boxes in splash screen]
@ 2002-06-04 12:01 ` Andre Spiegel
From: Andre Spiegel @ 2002-06-04 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

I wrote:

> When I start up emacs-21.2.90 under X, the splash screen does not show
> any characters, only boxes.  I think this is due to my resource setting:
> Emacs*font: neep-iso8859-15-14.  (When I remove that setting, I get a
> correct splash screen in Helvetica.)

I'm sorry, but I cannot reproduce that problem anymore.  Since I
rebooted my machine, it no longer happens.  I get a correct splash
screen even with the above setting.

I recently rearranged my font path, adding some anti-aliased fonts.
Maybe this has had something to do with it.

I will let you know if I should see anything odd again.