* ert-font-lock improvements
@ 2024-03-21  8:49 Vladimir Kazanov
From: Vladimir Kazanov @ 2024-03-21  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Troy Brown

Hi all,

Some time ago an extension for ERT (the built-in unit testing system)
was merged: ert-font-lock, a tool for syntax highlighting tests.

A couple of weeks ago certain problems (see bug#69714) with
ert-font-lcok were raised, and I've also accumulated a few
quality-of-life improvements for the tool.

Could somebody please take a look at the patch and merge it if it's
okay? Bug author and myself did some testing and the changes proposed
do solve a lot of problems for us.

Thanks,
Vlad

--
Regards,

Vladimir Kazanov

* Re: ert-font-lock improvements
@ 2024-03-21 11:34 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-21 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Kazanov; +Cc: emacs-devel, brownts

> From: Vladimir Kazanov <vekazanov@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 08:49:56 +0000
>
> Hi all,
>
> Some time ago an extension for ERT (the built-in unit testing system)
> was merged: ert-font-lock, a tool for syntax highlighting tests.
>
> A couple of weeks ago certain problems (see bug#69714) with
> ert-font-lcok were raised, and I've also accumulated a few
> quality-of-life improvements for the tool.
>
> Could somebody please take a look at the patch and merge it if it's
> okay? Bug author and myself did some testing and the changes proposed
> do solve a lot of problems for us.

Don't worry, it is in my queue.

(You've posted the patch less than a week ago, so it's too early to
worry about it.)

* Re: ert-font-lock improvements
@ 2024-03-21 15:09   ` Vladimir Kazanov
From: Vladimir Kazanov @ 2024-03-21 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, brownts

Got it, sorry for distracting.

Also, having that merged, I have something like an emacs-devel-wide
announcement of the tool in mind, looking for builtin major modes that
would benefit from having more syntax highlighting tests. That is, I
would provide the initial sets of tests myself. What do you think?

Thank you for you work

--

@ 2024-03-21 16:22 ` John ff
From: John ff @ 2024-03-21 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Kazanov
  Cc: Manuel Giraud via Emacs development discussions., Troy Brown

@ 2024-03-21 17:00     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-21 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Kazanov; +Cc: emacs-devel, brownts

> From: Vladimir Kazanov <vekazanov@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 15:09:48 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, brownts@troybrown.dev
>
> Also, having that merged, I have something like an emacs-devel-wide
> announcement of the tool in mind, looking for builtin major modes that
> would benefit from having more syntax highlighting tests. That is, I
> would provide the initial sets of tests myself. What do you think?

Feel free to post the announcement, sure.