* Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-03-31  2:49 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-03-31  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Emacs pretest 23.0.92 is now available; this is the third pretest for
what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  You can download it via FTP, at
the following location:

  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.92.tar.gz

The xdelta against the previous pretest, 23.0.91, is here:

  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.91-23.0.92.xdelta

Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
your build platform.  In addition, please report bugs via M-x
report-emacs-bugs, or send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  For
questions, please email emacs-devel@gnu.org.

Thank you.

* Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-03-31 11:49 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-03-31 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:
> Emacs pretest 23.0.92 is now available; this is the third pretest for
> what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  You can download it via FTP, at
> the following location:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.92.tar.gz
>
> The xdelta against the previous pretest, 23.0.91, is here:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.91-23.0.92.xdelta
>
> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
> your build platform.  In addition, please report bugs via M-x
> report-emacs-bugs, or send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  For
> questions, please email emacs-devel@gnu.org.
>
> Thank you.

Windows binaries built OK, and have been uploaded to:

  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/

* Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-03-31 12:24 ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2009-03-31 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:

> Emacs pretest 23.0.92 is now available; this is the third pretest for
> what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  You can download it via FTP, at
> the following location:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.92.tar.gz
>
> The xdelta against the previous pretest, 23.0.91, is here:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.91-23.0.92.xdelta
>
> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
> your build platform.  In addition, please report bugs via M-x
> report-emacs-bugs, or send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  For
> questions, please email emacs-devel@gnu.org.
>
> Thank you.

Still has mktime bug!  There was a patch for this sent to this list.

* Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-03-31 13:42   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-03-31 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: emacs-devel

Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:

> Still has mktime bug!  There was a patch for this sent to this list.

Strange, the unpatched configure got into the tarball for some reason.
I'll look into it.

* Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-04-02 16:20 ` David Robinow
From: David Robinow @ 2009-04-02 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Emacs pretest 23.0.92 is now available; this is the third pretest for
> what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  You can download it via FTP, at
> the following location:
>
>  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.92.tar.gz
>
> The xdelta against the previous pretest, 23.0.91, is here:
>
>  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.91-23.0.92.xdelta
>
> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
> your build platform.  In addition, please report bugs via M-x
> report-emacs-bugs, or send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  For
> questions, please email emacs-devel@gnu.org.
>
> Thank you.
Fails on MSVC:

frame.c
frame.c(3283) : warning C4047: '=' : 'Lisp_Object' differs in levels
of indirection from 'Window'
frame.c(3430) : error C2275: 'Lisp_Object' : illegal use of this type
as an expression
        c:\home\emacs-23.0.92\src\lisp.h(315) : see declaration of 'Lisp_Object'
frame.c(3430) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'lval'
frame.c(3430) : error C2144: syntax error : '<Unknown>' should be
preceded by '<Unknown>'
frame.c(3430) : error C2144: syntax error : '<Unknown>' should be
preceded by '<Unknown>'
frame.c(3430) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before 'identifier'
frame.c(3430) : error C2065: 'lval' : undeclared identifier

* Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-04-02 19:28   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-04-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Robinow; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:20:02 -0400
> From: David Robinow <drobinow@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Fails on MSVC:

What version, please?

* Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-04-02 20:18   ` Ugly Me
From: Ugly Me @ 2009-04-02 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

> Chong Yidong wrote:
> > Emacs pretest 23.0.92 is now available; this is the third pretest for
> > what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  You can download it via FTP, at
> > the following location:
> >
> >   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.92.tar.gz
> >
> > The xdelta against the previous pretest, 23.0.91, is here:
> >
> >   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.91-23.0.92.xdelta
> >
> > Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
> > your build platform.  In addition, please report bugs via M-x
> > report-emacs-bugs, or send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  For
> > questions, please email emacs-devel@gnu.org.
> >
> > Thank you.

Because I don't know if this is a bug or not, I'm sending the message here.
This build opens up TWO processes. One being the main emacs application, and
the other opens in what resembles a DOS screen with nothing but a cursor
that I can't seem to do anything with except move it around the screen.
If I try to close that, both processes terminate.  I don't recall this ever
happening in previous builds.
However, in a previous version I had a colour scheme problem which still
holds true.
For example, the opening line on the title screen: "Welcome to GNU Emacs,
one component of the GNU operating system."

This is in red, which is fine, except for "GNU Emacs" and "GNU" which is in
a bright turquoise shade.  So are the links and the build information.
This makes it VERY difficult to read and I'm wondering how to change the
default colours.  I know it's probably there somewhere but I'm having
trouble finding it.
True, I'm not fluent in Emacs but I still don't mind using beta versions,
and, the colour problem is not limited to this version anyhow, but also of
22.3.1 as well.
Prior to this I never had a problem.

-Sean
msudol0928@rogers.com

* Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-04-02 21:53     ` David Robinow
From: David Robinow @ 2009-04-02 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:20:02 -0400
>> From: David Robinow <drobinow@gmail.com>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Fails on MSVC:
>
> What version, please?

Sorry, I should know better.

 Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003
 Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

	cl -I. -nologo -c -Zel -W2 -H63 -Oxsb2 -Oy- -G6dF -Zp8     -Demacs=1
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../nt/inc -DHAVE_NTGUI=1  -DPURESIZE=5000000
-Foobj-spd/i386\ alloc.c atimer.c buffer.c bytecode.c callint.c
callproc.c casefiddle.c cm.c cmds.c data.c dired.c dispnew.c doc.c
doprnt.c editfns.c eval.c fileio.c filelock.c filemode.c fns.c
indent.c insdel.c keyboard.c keymap.c lread.c macros.c marker.c md5.c
minibuf.c w32.c w32heap.c w32inevt.c w32proc.c w32console.c print.c
process.c regex.c scroll.c search.c sound.c syntax.c sysdep.c term.c
termcap.c tparam.c undo.c unexw32.c window.c xdisp.c casetab.c
floatfns.c frame.c gmalloc.c intervals.c composite.c ralloc.c
textprop.c vm-limit.c region-cache.c strftime.c charset.c character.c
chartab.c coding.c category.c ccl.c font.c fontset.c fringe.c image.c
terminal.c menu.c

@ 2009-04-02 22:51     ` Chong Yidong
       [not found]       ` <002901c9b401$1ae98b90$8807ef63@MYLITTLEPHONY>
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-04-02 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ugly Me; +Cc: Emacs Devel

"Ugly Me" <ugly@frightenstein.com> writes:

> For example, the opening line on the title screen: "Welcome to GNU Emacs,
> one component of the GNU operating system."
>
> This is in red, which is fine, except for "GNU Emacs" and "GNU" which is in
> a bright turquoise shade.  So are the links and the build information.
> This makes it VERY difficult to read

That's surprising---by default, the color for links should be blue on
bright backgrounds.  It's cyan on dark backgrounds, but cyan should be
perfectly visible on dark backgrounds.  Have you performed any color
customizations?

@ 2009-04-03  3:58         ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-04-03  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ugly Me; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> That's surprising---by default, the color for links should be blue on
>> bright backgrounds.  It's cyan on dark backgrounds, but cyan should be
>> perfectly visible on dark backgrounds.  Have you performed any color
>> customizations?
>
> That's my point. I haven't.

As I was saying, the shade of blue used for links should be legible by
default, and it's a bug if it's not.  Can you confirm that it's cyan on
a white background, as opposed to dark blue on a white background (which
is what I see for the default on GNU/Linux)?

> How do I do it?

Customize the `link' face (see the Emacs manual for details of
customization).

* Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-04-03  4:52           ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-04-03  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Ugly Me, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong skrev:
>>> That's surprising---by default, the color for links should be blue on
>>> bright backgrounds.  It's cyan on dark backgrounds, but cyan should be
>>> perfectly visible on dark backgrounds.  Have you performed any color
>>> customizations?
>> That's my point. I haven't.
>
> As I was saying, the shade of blue used for links should be legible by
> default, and it's a bug if it's not.  Can you confirm that it's cyan on
> a white background, as opposed to dark blue on a white background (which
> is what I see for the default on GNU/Linux)?
>
>> How do I do it?
>
> Customize the `link' face (see the Emacs manual for details of
> customization).

I've noticed that some distributions of GNU/Linux does customizations for you,
on a global basis.  Check for anything like /etc/emacs, /etc/emacs.d,
/etc/X11/app-defaults/Emacs, /usr/lib/X11/app-default/Emacs.

	Jan D.

* Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-04-04  0:50           ` Ugly Me
From: Ugly Me @ 2009-04-04  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs Devel

> >> That's surprising---by default, the color for links should be blue on
> >> bright backgrounds.  It's cyan on dark backgrounds, but cyan should be
> >> perfectly visible on dark backgrounds.  Have you performed any color
> >> customizations?
> >
> > That's my point. I haven't.
>
> As I was saying, the shade of blue used for links should be legible by
> default, and it's a bug if it's not.  Can you confirm that it's cyan on
> a white background, as opposed to dark blue on a white background (which
> is what I see for the default on GNU/Linux)?
>
> > How do I do it?
>
> Customize the `link' face (see the Emacs manual for details of
> customization).

First things first. I did not FIX the problem of it opening in a full blank
screen, but in modifying the DOS parameters I instructed the program to open
in a window rather than full screen.
Thus the blank DOS window opens in the background while the emacs program
opens in the foreground.  As I think I said before, this has never happened
in previous versions I have used.
As usual, close the task for the blank window, Emacs terminates.
As for the link face part... I'll check the manual.

* Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-04-04 14:33             ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2009-04-04 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sat 04 Apr 2009, Ugly Me wrote:
> First things first. I did not FIX the problem of it opening in a full blank
> screen, but in modifying the DOS parameters I instructed the program to open
> in a window rather than full screen.
> Thus the blank DOS window opens in the background while the emacs program
> opens in the foreground.  As I think I said before, this has never happened
> in previous versions I have used.
> As usual, close the task for the blank window, Emacs terminates.
> As for the link face part... I'll check the manual.

How are you starting emacs ? If you run "emacs.exe" then you will see a
DOS box as an artifact of the way Windows distinguishes between console
and windowed programs. Try starting emacs using "runemacs.exe" instead.

HTH

    AndyM

* Re: Emacs 23.0.92 pretest
@ 2009-04-06 14:54   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-04-06 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Robinow; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

David Robinow wrote:
> Fails on MSVC:
>
> frame.c
> frame.c(3283) : warning C4047: '=' : 'Lisp_Object' differs in levels
> of indirection from 'Window'
> frame.c(3430) : error C2275: 'Lisp_Object' : illegal use of this type
> as an expression
>         c:\home\emacs-23.0.92\src\lisp.h(315) : see declaration of 'Lisp_Object'

The problem was a C99 style mid-block variable declaration. Obviously
gcc accepts this, or it would have been picked up earlier, but I'm
surprised not to have heard about it from others using a pre-C99 compiler.