emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Worg HTML export problem?
@ 2021-11-07 22:46 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2021-11-07 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Aloha all,

I pushed a new file, ob-doc-org.org, to Worg earlier today, but
the link in
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/index.html
gives a 404 error.  I usually see this when the Org file has a bad
link that causes export to fail, but AFAICT ob-doc-org.org doesn't
have this affliction--it exports locally.

I've likely made some other error, but I don't have clue what it
might be.

I don't know how to debug this.  Can someone help, please?

All the best,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye
https://tsdye.online/tsdye

* Re: Worg HTML export problem?
@ 2021-11-10 16:50 ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2021-11-10 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 08/11/2021 05:46, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> I pushed a new file, ob-doc-org.org, to Worg earlier today, but the link
> in https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/index.html gives
> a 404 error.  I usually see this when the Org file has a bad link that
> causes export to fail, but AFAICT ob-doc-org.org doesn't have this
> affliction--it exports locally.
>
> I've likely made some other error, but I don't have clue what it might be.
>
> I don't know how to debug this.  Can someone help, please?

https://builds.sr.ht/~bzg/job/623225

[exporting] org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-org.org
No org-babel-execute function for org!

However I do not see explicit load/require for particular language in
sibling files. I expected something like

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports none
   (require 'ob-org)
#+end_src

* Re: Worg HTML export problem?
@ 2021-11-10 21:24   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2021-11-10 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Max,

> On 08/11/2021 05:46, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>> I pushed a new file, ob-doc-org.org, to Worg earlier today, but
>> the link
>> in
>> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/index.html
>> gives a 404
>> error.  I usually see this when the Org file has a bad link
>> that causes export
>> to fail, but AFAICT ob-doc-org.org doesn't have this
>> affliction--it exports
>> locally.
>> I've likely made some other error, but I don't have clue what
>> it might be.
>> I don't know how to debug this.  Can someone help, please?
>
> https://builds.sr.ht/~bzg/job/623225
>
> [exporting] org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-org.org
> No org-babel-execute function for org!
>
> However I do not see explicit load/require for particular
> language in sibling
> files. I expected something like
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports none
>   (require 'ob-org)
> #+end_src

Thanks for looking into this.

Is the problem something I can fix in ob-doc-org.org?  Or, does it
have to do with the configuration at sr.ht?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
https://tsdye.online/tsdye

* execute src block during export (Re: Worg HTML export problem?)
@ 2021-11-11 13:00     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2021-11-11 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 11/11/2021 04:24, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>> On 08/11/2021 05:46, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>>> to fail, but AFAICT ob-doc-org.org doesn't have this affliction--it
>>> exports locally.

Have you tried to export it from "emacs -Q -L /path/to/org-mode/lisp"?
I think, you just have "org" in customized "org-babel-load-languages".

>>> I've likely made some other error, but I don't have clue what it
>>> might be.
>>> I don't know how to debug this.  Can someone help, please?
>>
>> https://builds.sr.ht/~bzg/job/623225
>>
>> [exporting] org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-org.org
>> No org-babel-execute function for org!
>>
>> However I do not see explicit load/require for particular language in
>> sibling
>> files. I expected something like
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports none
>>   (require 'ob-org)
>> #+end_src
>
> Thanks for looking into this.
>
> Is the problem something I can fix in ob-doc-org.org?  Or, does it have
> to do with the configuration at sr.ht?

All settings are in .build.yaml and publish.sh (lisp) file.

Sorry, I have missed the following code in your file

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
   (org-babel-do-load-languages
    'org-babel-load-languages
    '((org . t)))
#+end_src

I am unsure whether it should work in this form or it worked earlier,
but on main branch it is not executed during export. If I change first
line to the following, the block is executed during export:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value none :exports results

My minimal example:

Test

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value none :exports results
    (org-babel-do-load-languages
     'org-babel-load-languages
     '((org . t)))
#+end_src

#+name: org-hello
#+begin_src org :var hello="World"
   Hello, $hello!
#+end_src

#+begin_src elisp :var x=org-hello[](hello="Org") :exports both
   (print x)
#+end_src

* Re: execute src block during export (Re: Worg HTML export problem?)
@ 2021-11-11 17:24       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2021-11-11 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Max,

> On 11/11/2021 04:24, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>> Max Nikulin writes:
>
> Have you tried to export it from "emacs -Q -L
> /path/to/org-mode/lisp"?
> I think, you just have "org" in customized
> "org-babel-load-languages".

>>> https://builds.sr.ht/~bzg/job/623225
>>>
>>> [exporting] org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-org.org
>>> No org-babel-execute function for org!
>>>
>>> However I do not see explicit load/require for particular
>>> language in sibling
>>> files. I expected something like
>>>
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports none
>>>   (require 'ob-org)
>>> #+end_src
>> Thanks for looking into this.
>> Is the problem something I can fix in ob-doc-org.org?  Or, does
>> it have
>> to do with the configuration at sr.ht?
>
> All settings are in .build.yaml and publish.sh (lisp) file.
>
> Sorry, I have missed the following code in your file
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (org-babel-do-load-languages
>    'org-babel-load-languages
>    '((org . t)))
> #+end_src
>
> I am unsure whether it should work in this form or it worked
> earlier, but on
> main branch it is not executed during export. If I change first
> line to the
> following, the block is executed during export:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value none :exports results
>
> My minimal example:
>
> Test
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value none :exports results
>    (org-babel-do-load-languages
>     'org-babel-load-languages
>     '((org . t)))
> #+end_src
>
> #+name: org-hello
> #+begin_src org :var hello="World"
>   Hello, $hello!
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src elisp :var x=org-hello[](hello="Org") :exports both
>   (print x)
> #+end_src

Thanks!

The original problem is likely due to the default header arguments
in ob-org.el, which are unusual.

If I export both, then all is well.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value none :exports both
  (org-babel-do-load-languages
   'org-babel-load-languages
   '((org . t)))
#+end_src

All the best,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye
https://tsdye.online/tsdye

* Re: execute src block during export (Re: Worg HTML export problem?)
@ 2021-11-12 14:26         ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2021-11-12 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/11/2021 00:24, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> The original problem is likely due to the default header arguments in
> ob-org.el, which are unusual.

It is great that the problem is solved. I do not think however that
something inside ob-org.el may affect processing of a file before this
package is loaded.

> If I export both, then all is well.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value none :exports both
>   (org-babel-do-load-languages
>    'org-babel-load-languages
>    '((org . t)))
> #+end_src

I feel that I have missed something. I do not see the purpose to include
this source block in user docs. I expect that for accidental usage it is
more convenient to type (require 'ob-org), while as a permanent settings
it is possible to do customize-variable org-babel-load-languages or to
use `add-to-list'.

* Re: execute src block during export (Re: Worg HTML export problem?)
@ 2021-11-12 16:55           ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2021-11-12 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Max,

> On 12/11/2021 00:24, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>> The original problem is likely due to the default header
>> arguments in
>> ob-org.el, which are unusual.
>
> It is great that the problem is solved. I do not think however
> that something
> inside ob-org.el may affect processing of a file before this
> package is loaded.
>
>> If I export both, then all is well.
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value none :exports both
>>   (org-babel-do-load-languages
>>    'org-babel-load-languages
>>    '((org . t)))
>> #+end_src
>
> I feel that I have missed something. I do not see the purpose to
> include this
> source block in user docs. I expect that for accidental usage it
> is more
> convenient to type (require 'ob-org), while as a permanent
> settings it is
> possible to do customize-variable org-babel-load-languages or to
> use
> `add-to-list'.

The source block is included to show the user how to modify their
.emacs.

I was surprised that changing its :results header argument had an
effect on export.

Do you have an explanation why the header argument makes this
difference on Worg?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
https://tsdye.online/tsdye

* Re: execute src block during export (Re: Worg HTML export problem?)
@ 2021-11-13 12:17             ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2021-11-13 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/11/2021 23:55, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
>> On 12/11/2021 00:24, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>>> The original problem is likely due to the default header arguments in
>>> ob-org.el, which are unusual.
>>
>> It is great that the problem is solved. I do not think however that
>> something
>> inside ob-org.el may affect processing of a file before this package
>> is loaded.
>>
>>> If I export both, then all is well.
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value none :exports both
>>>   (org-babel-do-load-languages
>>>    'org-babel-load-languages
>>>    '((org . t)))
>>> #+end_src
>>
>> I feel that I have missed something. I do not see the purpose to
>> include this
>> source block in user docs. I expect that for accidental usage it is more
>> convenient to type (require 'ob-org), while as a permanent settings it is
>> possible to do customize-variable org-babel-load-languages or to use
>> `add-to-list'.
>
> The source block is included to show the user how to modify their .emacs.

My ~/.emacs.d/init.el has (among other variables)

(custom-set-variables
  '(org-babel-load-languages (quote ((emacs-lisp . t) (C . t) (python .
t))))
  ;; ...
)

I consider it better since it does not force immediate loading of Org if
emacs is launched for a file of different type. Before sending the
`org-babel-do-load-language' and it looks more prominent than
customizing of the variable, however a more concise example is given a
bit below

(require 'ob-closure)

Additional feature of `org-babel-do-load-language' is that the function
can "unload" some languages, however it is not the case for
initialization. That is why I disputed recommending more complicated
example with `org-babel-do-load-language'. It is matter of taste however
even if current example has no less obvious advantages.

> I was surprised that changing its :results header argument had an effect
> on export.
>
> Do you have an explanation why the header argument makes this difference
> on Worg?

Worg build procedure is more close to defaults. Earlier I wrote that the
issue can be reproduced locally using "emacs -Q".

Actually it is reasonable that without explicit request, source blocks
are not executed during export. `org-babel-default-header-args' has
(:exports . "code"), so it is necessary to override default value to
execute the source block loading ob-org.

I was confused that build log contains a message related to evaluating
of some code ob-doc-sql.org without explicit overriding of :exports.
Likely it is caused by noweb option.