Oleh Krehel writes: > Marcin Borkowski writes: > >> Hi all, >> >> after a short discussion in a recent thread, I have a serious technical >> question. >> >> Assume that (for some reason) I want to write an Org-mode exporter which >> won't be GPL'd. (Use-case: having written a few custom exporters, I'm >> writing a tutorial on them, and I consider publishing a *tutorial* with >> GPL'd code a Bad Thing™. (The idea of a programming tutorial is that >> other people can or even should reuse the code in the tutorial, right? >> And I see no reason to impose GPL on them.)) >> >> How do I do that? Is that even possible? Also, is it possible to get >> an actual answer to this question without spending money on lawyers? > > Like I said in an earlier message just a few minutes ago, you can do it, > but you can't use org.el or Elisp at all, unless you implement your own > Elisp engine that you call. Big disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and also no expert in this field. I am not sure about this. Look for example in the statistical languange R: R is licensed under GPL (https://www.r-project.org/COPYING i I think this is 2). You have numerous packages which =are under many different licenses: To quote from https://www.r-project.org/Licenses/ : ,---- | R Licenses | | The following licenses are in use for R or associated software such as packages. | | The “GNU Affero General Public License” version 3 | The “Artistic License” version 2.0 | The “BSD 2-clause License” | The “BSD 3-clause License” | The “GNU General Public License” version 2 | The “GNU General Public License” version 3 | The “GNU Library General Public License” version 2 | The “GNU Lesser General Public License” version 2.1 | The “GNU Lesser General Public License” version 3 | The “MIT License” | | R as a package is licensed under GPL-2 | GPL-3. File doc/COPYING is the same as GPL-2. | | Some files are licensed under ‘GPL (version 2 or later)’, which includes GPL-3. See the comments in the files to see if this applies. | | Some header files are distributed under LGPL-2.1: see file COPYRIGHTS (on the SVN server). `---- These packages all depend on R itself. So isn't this the same as in emacs / elisp? Isn't an exporter / .el file the same as a package in R, something which enhances the original product using a provided interface (the functions) but does not change anything in the original program (R or emacs)? Rainer > > The GPL isn't as evil as you make it out to be: in fact, it's not evil > at all: it only ensures that you pass on the freedom that you receive to > others, i.e. **you are not free to remove freedom from others**. > > As for documentation, here I cite a bit of Elisp manual: > > (a) The FSF’s Back-Cover Text is: “You have the freedom to copy and > modify this GNU manual. Buying copies from the FSF supports it in > developing GNU and promoting software freedom.” > > Just think about it: on 99% of published books it says: > > No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval > system, or transmitted, in any form or by means electronic, > mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without prior written > permission of the publisher. > > Now who is the evil guy here? > > regards, > Oleh > > > -- Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany) Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology Stellenbosch University South Africa Tel : +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44 Cell: +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98 Fax : +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44 Fax (D): +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44 email: Rainer@krugs.de Skype: RMkrug PGP: 0x0F52F982