emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Brett Viren <bv@bnl.gov>
To: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Clocking work time vs. office time
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:51:17 -0400	[thread overview]

> On 2016-04-29, at 11:21, Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>> I assume that you use a laptop or some other portable device? In that
>> case you can grep the IP address (which might change when you change
>> workplaces) and timestamps from the log files (or create a script that
>> logs the IP address changes to an ORG file) and then somehow (coughcough)
>> integrate that into your report.
>
> That's actually an interesting (and not standard) idea.  Even moreso
> because I'm writing a RescueTime-like time-tracking tool for Emacs,
> working (unlike Org's clocking) without manual intervention - recording
> the state of computer (i.e., current idle time, active X window, active
> Emacs buffer name and mode) at regular (or not) intervals and making
> reports.  I did not include any network-related info, but this would be
> easy to add.  Thanks, I'll definitely think about it!

Along similar lines, how about running a process on a computer near
where you dwell at work which watches for your mobile phone's bluetooth
ID.  Recording when your phone enters/exits its range will sample the
time you are physically present.  If you roam around at work you will
need to remember to visit the BT range at the start and at the end of
your day in order to get a full measure.  And, you'll need to process
the samples to pull out the earliest/latest times to calculate the time
present.  This post-processing can emit Org text or whatever format you
want.

Looking at what bluetooth stuff is available on Ubuntu, "bluemon" seems
perfect for the heavy lifting.  Your OS may vary.

There are also Android apps that do this kind of locating directly using
GPS/WiFi location and uploading the results to google drive or similar.
However, I've never managed to find one which I can make work reliably.

-Brett.