emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Contracts in Orgmode
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:49:07 -0800	[thread overview]

On 12/21/2009 11:16 AM, Markus Heller wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> please consider the following scenario:
>
> I have a contract with Client A; the contract is valid from January 1,
> 2010 until March 31, 2010. I want to clock all my work on tasks under
> this contract, and of course *only* while the contract is valid. 30 days
> before the expiry date, I'd like to get a reminder.

[snip]

After some more googling and having a closer look at the org manual, I
came up with a solution that might work.  It uses dependencies and
org-depend.el.  I've pasted it below, and as usual, I'd appreciate any
comments/improvement :)

I realize that this is not exactly an elegant solution, but it might
work for me.  I'd still like to see a way in orgmode to allow clocking
in on certain tasks only during a specific period of time, maybe
something like

** Contract for Client A
    :PROPERTIES:
      :START: 01-01-2010
      :EXPIRY: 03-31-2010
    :END:

Then, when the START date is reached, the task state gets changed to the
TODO or STARTED, and once the expiry date is reached, it gets marked
DONE, and cannot be clocked in anymore.  I'm not sure if this is a
feature that would be of general interest ...  But what do the experts
think?

Thanks and Cheers!
Markus

Here's my crude solution:

* Workorder

** TODO Create WO
    :PROPERTIES:
      :ID: WO-Create
      :TRIGGER: WO-Sign(TODO)
    :END:

** Have WO signed by PI
    :PROPERTIES:
      :ID: WO-Sign
      :BLOCKER: WO-Create
      :TRIGGER: Service(TODO) Analysis(TODO) WO-Renew(TODO)
    :END:

** Renew WO
    :PROPERTIES:
      :ID: WO-Renew