The 'double reporting' idea might have been why I just flat out shook my head when I saw the one presentation on 'ledger' in Emacs on YouTube a while ago as its a bit too complicated and unnecessary for a layman. I just don't need that kind of over-thinking when it comes to my finances since I just need a spreadsheet that listed expenses, and to count totals. That's about it. I will take a look at the other suggestions with specific Org Mode formulas, looked awesome, thanks. On Mon, Jan 10, 2022, at 10:31 AM, Greg Minshall wrote: > > I'm wondering if your opinion about Ledger isn't influenced by the fact > > that it uses basic accounting principles, like the idea of double-entry > > accounting. For me, it's /very/ simple and intuitive, but I graduated > > in economics many years ago and had a (basic, but still) course on > > accounting. If that is your problem, I'd suggest spending some time on > > understanding that - even if you don't end up using Ledger but some > > other software, you might find learning about accounting useful. (Also, > > it's fascinating. No, really! It's an extremely clever abstract > > system with a real-life use-case.) > > i agree that learning the principles of double-entry is worthwhile, > actually interesting, and of a very interesting history! >