emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Angelina Carlton <debian@magma.ca>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: the org-CUA-compatible variable
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:31:05 +0100	[thread overview]

On Dec 10, 2006, at 22:27, Angelina Carlton wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> (if possible, could you CC any replies as I am not subscribed?)
>
> In my .emacs file, close to the top, I have the code:
> ;; shift+arrows to move between windows
> ---------------------------------------
> (when (fboundp 'windmove-default-keybindings)
>       (windmove-default-keybindings))
>
> I find this the best way for me to switch windows and have become
> *very*
> used to it. I recently decided to become more organized in the way I do
> things and was happy to discover org-mode, however my shift bindings
> are
> clobbered. I read some of the manual and it suggested using the
> org-CUA-compatible variable.
>
> So in my .emacs I initiate org mode with:
> ;; org mode
> (require 'org)
> (setq org-CUA-compatible t)

This variable needs to be set *before* org.el gets loaded.  So please
swap these lines, or, oven better, omit the (require 'org).  It is not
needed since all necessary functions are autoloaded, so that org.el
will be loaded automatically when needed.

In fact, it is a very bad habit of many package writers to make people
install their package with a require that will load the entire large
source file.  Where did find the instruction to use (require 'org)
Because if it is in the docs, I need to fix it.

Thanks.

- Carsten