emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-latex preview on Windows
@ 2022-08-06 16:11 Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2022-08-06 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,

I have had difficulties using  org-latex-preview to run properly on Windows.
The main issue seems to be that the user name on windows gets abbreviated
with ~. As far as I understand this generate problems as the temporary
folder cannot be found.

see for instance these posts
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/70119

and an old post from Vincente Vera
https://list.orgmode.org/CAMfbzvDPLS1eqXJ=7TZH1035Z3Vq4q4-yJMqsVBcGxzP8kDUjw@mail.gmail.com/

Vincente, suggests altering the temporary environment variable
(setenv "TEMP" "C:\Temp"). I have tried this option and place it in my
.init file but the Temporary file in org-mode uses does not change.

As a work around I modified the function org-compile-file in lisp/org/
org-macs.el
by adding altering the source variable as such

 (let* ((source (replace-regexp-in-string "JEREMI~1" "JeremieJuste"
source))

This is obviously not an ideal solution but I cannot find any other
solution immediately. Have someone else come across the same issue on
Windows? Do you have any suggestions?

Best regards,
Jeremie
Org mode version 9.5.4
GNU Emacs 28.1

* Re: org-latex preview on Windows
       [not found] <mailman.43.1659888009.25095.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2022-08-07 18:05 ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-08-07 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, jeremiejuste

Hi Jeremie

In my emacs it works great. Even org-fragtog that allows you to edit in
an interactive manner.

- Just in case it could be helpfult, these are the lines in my init file
that I can find related to LaTeX:

(custom-set-variables

  '(org-preview-latex-image-directory "~/borrar/ltximg/")

  '(preview-TeX-style-dir "~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.0.11/latex" t))

- I installed LaTeX following these instructions:

https://ikaruga2.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/latex-emacs-and-orgmode-in-windows/

- I have edited the Windows System Variable "Path" and added to it:

C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\miktex\bin\x64\

I hope that helps

@ 2022-08-09 20:12   ` Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2022-08-09 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Ypo,

Many thanks for sharing.

On Sunday,  7 Aug 2022 at 20:05, Ypo wrote:
> Hi Jeremie
>
> In my emacs it works great. Even org-fragtog that allows you to edit in
> an interactive manner.
Org impatient is also pretty nice :-)
https://github.com/yangsheng6810/org-latex-impatient

> - Just in case it could be helpfult, these are the lines in my init file
> that I can find related to LaTeX:

I manage to solve the problem just by updating the temporary-file-directory
(setq temporary-file-directory
"c:/Users/JeremieJuste/AppData/Local/Temp/")

Best regards,
Jeremie

* Re: org-latex preview on Windows
@ 2022-10-16 10:49 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-16 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremie Juste; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jeremie Juste <jeremiejuste@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have had difficulties using  org-latex-preview to run properly on Windows.
> The main issue seems to be that the user name on windows gets abbreviated
> with ~. As far as I understand this generate problems as the temporary
> folder cannot be found.
>
> see for instance these posts
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/70119
>
> and an old post from Vincente Vera
> https://list.orgmode.org/CAMfbzvDPLS1eqXJ=7TZH1035Z3Vq4q4-yJMqsVBcGxzP8kDUjw@mail.gmail.com/

Isn't it Emacs upstream bug? temporary-file-directory is supposed to
return a reachable path.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,