emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open
@ 2024-08-04 20:37 Kepa
From: Kepa @ 2024-08-04 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I'm encountering an issue when trying to open a file using org-attach-open from org-attach. The problem occurs when the file name, or file path, contain words with accents.
Windows OS sends me this error:
Error code: 0x80070002

I have not this problem using dired.

System:
    Windows 11
    Org mode version 9.8-pre (release_N/A-N/A-c426f4)
    GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) from 2024-03-24

Best regards

* Re: Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open
@ 2024-08-05  4:33 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2024-08-05  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Kepa

On Sun, Aug 04, 2024 at 08:37:32PM +0000, Kepa wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm encountering an issue when trying to open a file using org-attach-open from org-attach. The problem occurs when the file name, or file path, contain words with accents.
> Windows OS sends me this error:
> Error code: 0x80070002

I can't help directly: trying to help to help: the accented characters are in
the file name, not in the content?

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open
@ 2024-08-05  9:04   ` Kepa
From: Kepa @ 2024-08-05  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi

Accentuated characters are in the path and in the file name.

It seems windows can't find the file, because emacs sends the accentuated characters substituted.

As said before, this doesn't happen with Dired.

Kind regards

From: tomas at tuxteam.de <ihnsjfoycztljgxopuatldqcmzyldcrwdytkxhbplrxrcs@simplelogin.co>
To: emacs-orgmode at gnu.org <emacs-orgmode_at_gnu_org_kqcgkjat@simplelogin.co>
CC: Kepa <gnu.cognition199@slmails.com>
Date: 2024-08-05T04:33:28Z
Subject: Re: Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open

@ 2024-08-05  9:28     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2024-08-05  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kepa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Aug 05, 2024 at 09:04:19AM +0000, Kepa wrote:
> Hi
>
> Accentuated characters are in the path and in the file name.
>
> It seems windows can't find the file, because emacs sends the accentuated characters substituted.
>
> As said before, this doesn't happen with Dired.

I guess this is an encoding thing. Since I haven't a Windows box, I
can't test :-(

Possibly org-attach-open isn't realizing that it needs to
treat paths differently on Windows.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open
@ 2024-08-05 18:53 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-08-05 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kepa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kepa <gnu.cognition199@slmails.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I'm encountering an issue when trying to open a file using org-attach-open from org-attach. The problem occurs when the file name, or file path, contain words with accents.
> Windows OS sends me this error:
> Error code: 0x80070002
>
> I have not this problem using dired.

What if you

1. Run M-x debug-on-entry <RET> org-open-file <RET>
2. Try to open the file
3. Share the resulting backtrace
4. M-x cancel-debug-on-entry <RET> <RET>
   (cleanup)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* RE: Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open
@ 2024-08-05 20:24   ` Kepa
From: Kepa @ 2024-08-05 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Ihor

I get no error using " M-x debug-on-entry <RET> org-open-file ".

If I use org-attach-open from the attach menu, I get this backtrace:

Debugger entered--entering a function:
* org-open-file("p:/170 Buzón/oq.pdf" nil)
  org-attach-open(nil)
  funcall-interactively(org-attach-open nil)
  command-execute(org-attach-open)
  org-attach()
  funcall-interactively(org-attach)
  command-execute(org-attach)

Although I've now noticed that the error only occurs when the file is on the local network. If it's on my hard drive, access works correctly. P: is a local network drive.

Best regards

> I'm encountering an issue when trying to open a file using org-attach-open from org-attach. The problem occurs when the file name, or file path, contain words with accents.
> Windows OS sends me this error:
> Error code: 0x80070002
>
> I have not this problem using dired.

What if you

1. Run M-x debug-on-entry <RET> org-open-file <RET> 2. Try to open the file 3. Share the resulting backtrace 4. M-x cancel-debug-on-entry <RET> <RET>
   (cleanup)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>, or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>

* Re: Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open
@ 2024-08-05 20:44     ` Kepa
From: Kepa @ 2024-08-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode

Funny: the path was p:/170 Buzon/oq.pdf, where the "o" was accentuated: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%93

From: gnu.cognition199@slmails.com
To: yantar92 at posteo.net <yantar92_at_posteo_net_bkabf@simplelogin.co>; Kepa <gnu.cognition199@slmails.com>
CC: emacs-orgmode at gnu.org <emacs-orgmode_at_gnu_org_kqcgkjat@simplelogin.co>
Date: 2024-08-05T20:24:50Z

@ 2024-08-06  4:28       ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2024-08-06  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kepa; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Aug 05, 2024 at 08:44:29PM +0000, Kepa wrote:
> Funny: the path was p:/170 Buzon/oq.pdf, where the "o" was accentuated: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%93

Perhaps relevant:

 - what file systems are on each of those drives? NTFS? some Linux?
   (Background: most Unix/Linux file systems consider file names
   as strings of bytes. What encoding /characters/ have there is
   up to the application [1]; NTFS has UTF-16 encoded Unicode, although
   if you access it with POSIX fopen(), it gets translated to UTF-8).

 - what applications do you access "normally" the "drive" which is
   showing the problem? What did you create the file with?

Cheers

[1] typically to the process's locale's encoding which creates/accesses
   it. Lots of fun when they're not consistent :-)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open
@ 2024-08-06 17:23     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-08-06 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kepa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kepa <gnu.cognition199@slmails.com> writes:

> I get no error using " M-x debug-on-entry <RET> org-open-file ".
>
> If I use org-attach-open from the attach menu, I get this backtrace:
>
> Debugger entered--entering a function:
> * org-open-file("p:/170 Buzón/oq.pdf" nil)
>   org-attach-open(nil)
>   funcall-interactively(org-attach-open nil)
>   command-execute(org-attach-open)
>   org-attach()
>   funcall-interactively(org-attach)
>   command-execute(org-attach)
>

> Although I've now noticed that the error only occurs when the file is on the local network. If it's on my hard drive, access works correctly. P: is a local network drive.

Ok.
What about the same steps, but using
M-x debug-on-entry... w32-shell-execute ?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* RE: Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open
@ 2024-08-06 19:37       ` Kepa
From: Kepa @ 2024-08-06 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Ihor

I get not output with w32-shell-execute, but... if I make a link to the file, and I try to open it, I get a backtrace (so it would be not a problem from org-attach, but from org-mode):

Debugger entered--entering a function:

* org-open-file("p:/170 Buzón/oq.pdf" nil)

  apply(org-open-file "p:/170 Buzón/oq.pdf" nil nil)

  org-link-open-as-file("p:/170 Buzón/oq.pdf" nil)

  org-link-open((link (:standard-properties [214050 nil nil nil 214078 0 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil #<buffer 1-TAREAS.org> nil nil (paragraph (:standard-properties [214050 214050 214050 214079 214079 0 nil nil element t (20 . 214083) nil nil nil #<buffer 1-TAREAS.org> nil nil (section ...)]))] :type "file" :type-explicit-p t :path "p:/170 Buzón/oq.pdf" :format bracket :raw-link "file:p:/170 Buzón/oq.pdf" :application nil :search-option nil)) nil)

  #f(compiled-function (&optional arg) "Open thing at point.\nThe thing can be a link, citation, timestamp, footnote, src-block or\ntags.\n\nWhen point is on a link, follow it.  Normally, files will be opened by\nan appropriate application (see `org-file-apps').  If the optional prefix\nargument ARG is non-nil, Emacs will visit the file.  With a double\nprefix argument, try to open outside of Emacs, in the application the\nsystem uses for this file type.\n\nWhen point is on a timestamp, open the agenda at the day\nspecified.\n\nWhen point is a footnote definition, move to the first reference\nfound.  If it is on a reference, move to the associated\ndefinition.\n\nWhen point is on a src-block of inline src-block, open its result.\n\nWhen point is on a citation, follow it.\n\nWhen point is on a headline, display a list of every link in the\nentry, so it is possible to pick one, or all, of them.  If point\nis on a tag, call `org-tags-view' instead.\n\nOn top of syntactically correct links, this function also tries\nto open links and timestamps in comments, node properties, and\nkeywords if point is on something looking like a timestamp or\na link." (interactive "P") #<bytecode -0x1c87900cd089f1b9>)(nil)

  apply(#f(compiled-function (&optional arg) "Open thing at point.\nThe thing can be a link, citation, timestamp, footnote, src-block or\ntags.\n\nWhen point is on a link, follow it.  Normally, files will be opened by\nan appropriate application (see `org-file-apps').  If the optional prefix\nargument ARG is non-nil, Emacs will visit the file.  With a double\nprefix argument, try to open outside of Emacs, in the application the\nsystem uses for this file type.\n\nWhen point is on a timestamp, open the agenda at the day\nspecified.\n\nWhen point is a footnote definition, move to the first reference\nfound.  If it is on a reference, move to the associated\ndefinition.\n\nWhen point is on a src-block of inline src-block, open its result.\n\nWhen point is on a citation, follow it.\n\nWhen point is on a headline, display a list of every link in the\nentry, so it is possible to pick one, or all, of them.  If point\nis on a tag, call `org-tags-view' instead.\n\nOn top of syntactically correct links, this function also tries\nto open links and timestamps in comments, node properties, and\nkeywords if point is on something looking like a timestamp or\na link." (interactive "P") #<bytecode -0x1c87900cd089f1b9>) nil)

  org--mouse-open-at-point(#f(compiled-function (&optional arg) "Open thing at point.\nThe thing can be a link, citation, timestamp, footnote, src-block or\ntags.\n\nWhen point is on a link, follow it.  Normally, files will be opened by\nan appropriate application (see `org-file-apps').  If the optional prefix\nargument ARG is non-nil, Emacs will visit the file.  With a double\nprefix argument, try to open outside of Emacs, in the application the\nsystem uses for this file type.\n\nWhen point is on a timestamp, open the agenda at the day\nspecified.\n\nWhen point is a footnote definition, move to the first reference\nfound.  If it is on a reference, move to the associated\ndefinition.\n\nWhen point is on a src-block of inline src-block, open its result.\n\nWhen point is on a citation, follow it.\n\nWhen point is on a headline, display a list of every link in the\nentry, so it is possible to pick one, or all, of them.  If point\nis on a tag, call `org-tags-view' instead.\n\nOn top of syntactically correct links, this function also tries\nto open links and timestamps in comments, node properties, and\nkeywords if point is on something looking like a timestamp or\na link." (interactive "P") #<bytecode -0x1c87900cd089f1b9>) nil)

  apply(org--mouse-open-at-point #f(compiled-function (&optional arg) "Open thing at point.\nThe thing can be a link, citation, timestamp, footnote, src-block or\ntags.\n\nWhen point is on a link, follow it.  Normally, files will be opened by\nan appropriate application (see `org-file-apps').  If the optional prefix\nargument ARG is non-nil, Emacs will visit the file.  With a double\nprefix argument, try to open outside of Emacs, in the application the\nsystem uses for this file type.\n\nWhen point is on a timestamp, open the agenda at the day\nspecified.\n\nWhen point is a footnote definition, move to the first reference\nfound.  If it is on a reference, move to the associated\ndefinition.\n\nWhen point is on a src-block of inline src-block, open its result.\n\nWhen point is on a citation, follow it.\n\nWhen point is on a headline, display a list of every link in the\nentry, so it is possible to pick one, or all, of them.  If point\nis on a tag, call `org-tags-view' instead.\n\nOn top of syntactically correct links, this function also tries\nto open links and timestamps in comments, node properties, and\nkeywords if point is on something looking like a timestamp or\na link." (interactive "P") #<bytecode -0x1c87900cd089f1b9>) nil)

  org-open-at-point(nil)

  funcall-interactively(org-open-at-point nil)

  call-interactively(org-open-at-point)

  #f(compiled-function (&optional indent arg interactive) "Goto next table row or insert a newline.\n\nCalls `org-table-next-row' or `newline', depending on context.\n\nWhen optional INDENT argument is non-nil, call\n`newline-and-indent' with ARG, otherwise call `newline' with ARG\nand INTERACTIVE.\n\nWhen `org-return-follows-link' is non-nil and point is on\na timestamp, a link or a citation, call `org-open-at-point'.\nHowever, it will not happen if point is in a table or on a \"dead\"\nobject (e.g., within a comment).  In these case, you need to use\n`org-open-at-point' directly." (interactive "i\nP\np") #<bytecode 0x12021b210b6f462a>)(nil nil 1)

  apply(#f(compiled-function (&optional indent arg interactive) "Goto next table row or insert a newline.\n\nCalls `org-table-next-row' or `newline', depending on context.\n\nWhen optional INDENT argument is non-nil, call\n`newline-and-indent' with ARG, otherwise call `newline' with ARG\nand INTERACTIVE.\n\nWhen `org-return-follows-link' is non-nil and point is on\na timestamp, a link or a citation, call `org-open-at-point'.\nHowever, it will not happen if point is in a table or on a \"dead\"\nobject (e.g., within a comment).  In these case, you need to use\n`org-open-at-point' directly." (interactive "i\nP\np") #<bytecode 0x12021b210b6f462a>) (nil nil 1))

  org-return(nil nil 1)

  funcall-interactively(org-return nil nil 1)

  command-execute(org-return)

[cid:image001.png@01DAE848.A4D542E0]

https://i.ibb.co/NynYwVB/Captura-de-pantalla-2024-08-06-213339.png

Best regards

> I get no error using " M-x debug-on-entry <RET> org-open-file ".

> If I use org-attach-open from the attach menu, I get this backtrace:

> Debugger entered--entering a function:

> * org-open-file("p:/170 Buzón/oq.pdf" nil)

>   org-attach-open(nil)

>   funcall-interactively(org-attach-open nil)

>   command-execute(org-attach-open)

>   org-attach()

>   funcall-interactively(org-attach)

>   command-execute(org-attach)

> Although I've now noticed that the error only occurs when the file is on the local network. If it's on my hard drive, access works correctly. P: is a local network drive.

Ok.

What about the same steps, but using

M-x debug-on-entry... w32-shell-execute ?

--

Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,

Org mode contributor,

Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>, or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>

[-- Attachment #2: image001.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 20108 bytes --]

* RE: Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open
@ 2024-08-10 13:53         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-08-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kepa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kepa <gnu.cognition199@slmails.com> writes:

> I get not output with w32-shell-execute,

Did you customize `org-file-apps'?

> ... but... if I make a link to the file, and I try to open it, I get a backtrace (so it would be not a problem from org-attach, but from org-mode):
>
> Debugger entered--entering a function:
>
> * org-open-file("p:/170 Buzón/oq.pdf" nil)

I saw this already. What I am looking for is what is called by
`org-open-file'.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* RE: Issue opening files with accented words, using org-attach-open
@ 2024-08-10 17:51           ` Kepa
From: Kepa @ 2024-08-10 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

THAT'S IT!
I had added:

(when (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
  (setq org-file-apps
        '(("\\.\\(docx\\|doc\\)\\'" . (lambda (file link) (shell-command (concat "start \"\" \"" file "\""))))
          ("\\.\\(xlsx\\|xls\\)\\'" . (lambda (file link) (shell-command (concat "start \"\" \"" file "\""))))
          ("\\.\\(pdf\\)\\'" . (lambda (file link) (shell-command (concat "start \"\" \"" file "\""))))
          ("\\.\\(pptx\\|ppt\\)\\'" . (lambda (file link) (shell-command (concat "start \"\" \"" file "\""))))

          (auto-mode . emacs))))

After commenting those lines, I can open files with accentuated names through org-attach.

What should I customize to open links with the default software of the OS?

@ 2024-08-11 16:31             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-08-11 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kepa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kepa <gnu.cognition199@slmails.com> writes:

>> Did you customize `org-file-apps'?
>>

> THAT'S IT!
> I had added:
>
> (when (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
>   (setq org-file-apps
>         '(("\\.\\(docx\\|doc\\)\\'" . (lambda (file link) (shell-command (concat "start \"\" \"" file "\""))))
>           ("\\.\\(xlsx\\|xls\\)\\'" . (lambda (file link) (shell-command (concat "start \"\" \"" file "\""))))
>           ("\\.\\(pdf\\)\\'" . (lambda (file link) (shell-command (concat "start \"\" \"" file "\""))))
>           ("\\.\\(pptx\\|ppt\\)\\'" . (lambda (file link) (shell-command (concat "start \"\" \"" file "\""))))
>
>           (auto-mode . emacs))))
>
> After commenting those lines, I can open files with accentuated names through org-attach.
>
> What should I customize to open links with the default software of the OS?

(when (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
  (setq org-file-apps
        '(("\\.\\(docx\\|doc\\)\\'" . system)
          ("\\.\\(xlsx\\|xls\\)\\'" . system)