On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 09:17:32PM +0800, Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Ihor Radchenko writes: > > > I am attaching a tentative patch that will make Org export remove > > zero-width spaces when those spaces actually separate the object > > boundaries. > > > > Any objections? > > Given the raised objections, zero-width space does not appear to be a > useful escape symbol because it has its valid uses as a standalone space > symbol. > > The raised objections can be solved using some kind of intricate > heuristics, but I do not feel like it is a good direction to go. The > code will be too complex and fragile. > > Therefore, I am proposing a different approach for shielding > fontification: introducing a special entity. > > The new entity is \--, which is a valid boundary between emphasis > markup. It will be removed during export (replaced by ""). [...] I like that approach very much. I'm impressed, really. Cheers -- t