emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [POLL] Breaking change: removing `org-speed-commands-user'
@ 2021-05-02  6:05 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-02  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As discussed in https://orgmode.org/list/87v9hzzhrn.fsf@gmail.com the
proposal is to allow users to customize *all* speed keys, not just
some of them through `org-speed-commands-user'.

By merging `org-speed-commands-default' and `org-speed-commands-user'
into a single `org-speed-commands' option, we make this possible, but
this change will ignore people's `org-speed-commands-user' config, so
this is a breaking change.

Do you think this change could be too sensitive for users?

--
 Bastien

* Re: [POLL] Breaking change: removing `org-speed-commands-user'
@ 2021-05-02  7:15 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-05-02  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> As discussed in https://orgmode.org/list/87v9hzzhrn.fsf@gmail.com the
> proposal is to allow users to customize *all* speed keys, not just
> some of them through `org-speed-commands-user'.
>
> By merging `org-speed-commands-default' and `org-speed-commands-user'
> into a single `org-speed-commands' option, we make this possible, but
> this change will ignore people's `org-speed-commands-user' config, so
> this is a breaking change.
>
> Do you think this change could be too sensitive for users?

I don't really have a position on this. However, my 'gut' tells me that
anyone who has used org-speed-commands-user will be able to adapt to the
change without too much inconvenience. A clear NEWS entry will help.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: [POLL] Breaking change: removing `org-speed-commands-user'
@ 2021-05-02  8:00 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-02  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> [2021-05-02 09:08]:
> As discussed in https://orgmode.org/list/87v9hzzhrn.fsf@gmail.com the
> proposal is to allow users to customize *all* speed keys, not just
> some of them through `org-speed-commands-user'.
>
> By merging `org-speed-commands-default' and `org-speed-commands-user'
> into a single `org-speed-commands' option, we make this possible, but
> this change will ignore people's `org-speed-commands-user' config, so
> this is a breaking change.
>
> Do you think this change could be too sensitive for users?

I have never used it. I would say do the change.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://rms-support-letter.github.io/

* Re: [POLL] Breaking change: removing `org-speed-commands-user'
@ 2021-05-03 14:32 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-03 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> By merging `org-speed-commands-default' and `org-speed-commands-user'
> into a single `org-speed-commands' option, we make this possible, but
> this change will ignore people's `org-speed-commands-user' config, so
> this is a breaking change.

I've done so with commit d48276b8 in master.

--
 Bastien