* Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-02-12 16:13 Christine Köhn
From: Christine Köhn @ 2021-02-12 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I always used the manual online as one html page but it does not seem to
be available since (?) the website revamp. I prefer the manual as one
page for many reasons. Is it still available online?

Best,
Christine

* Re: Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-02-12 16:24 ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-02-12 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Köhn; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Christine,

I found it here: https://orgmode.org/org.html

But it doesn't seem to be linked from the new website.

--Diego

@ 2021-02-12 16:43   ` Christine Köhn
From: Christine Köhn @ 2021-02-12 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Diego, hi all,

Diego Zamboni writes:

> I found it here: https://orgmode.org/org.html

Thanks a lot. I've just bookmarked it.

> But it doesn't seem to be linked from the new website.

Has there been a discussion about what manual to link to from the front
page?

As far as I can remember, I've always prefered the complete manual -
even as a new org-mode user.

@ 2021-02-15 22:45 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2021-02-15 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christine Köhn <christine@chark.eu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I always used the manual online as one html page but it does not seem to
> be available since (?) the website revamp. I prefer the manual as one
> page for many reasons. Is it still available online?

I've always used the one-page per section version on the web (although
I tend to use Info much more often), primarily because I thought that
downloading the whole manual to just look at a section or two or five
would be inefficient - in fact, I've wondered why the single-page
versions of various manuals (particularly the larger ones: emacs and
elisp) are made available. So it is idle curiosity on my part, but
what are the the reasons for your preference?

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-02-16  9:22   ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-02-16  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: Org-mode

I'm not the OP, but I find the one-page manual useful when I'm not sure
what I'm looking for or where in the manual it might be, makes it easier to
search through the whole document iteratively.

--Diego

@ 2021-02-16  9:37   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-02-16  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2021-02-15, at 23:45, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Christine Köhn <christine@chark.eu> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I always used the manual online as one html page but it does not seem to
>> be available since (?) the website revamp. I prefer the manual as one
>> page for many reasons. Is it still available online?
>>

> I've always used the one-page per section version on the web (although
> I tend to use Info much more often), primarily because I thought that
> downloading the whole manual to just look at a section or two or five
> would be inefficient - in fact, I've wondered why the single-page
> versions of various manuals (particularly the larger ones: emacs and
> elisp) are made available. So it is idle curiosity on my part, but
> what are the the reasons for your preference?

Converting to an ebook format to read on an ebook reader is one possible
use-case.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Where has the manual on one html page gone?
@ 2021-02-16 12:49     ` Devin Prater
From: Devin Prater @ 2021-02-16 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode