emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* temporary inclusion of a read-only file / inline element into orgmode buffer
@ 2021-01-06 17:47 HJ
From: HJ @ 2021-01-06 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   Hello,

    I was wondering whether anyone here knows how to effect a temporary
inclusion of a file into an org file. What I mean:

    I would like to use orgmode to keep a documentation / devops
document. That document will contain commands ( with lots of
start_src...end_src...results blocks), where such commands usually
produce small results (20-60 lines), which are to be included inside the
document. But, on occasion, the command will produce 2,000,000+ lines of
output. Practically this is a difference that requires a different
storage approach, yet semantically inside orgmode I would like to
experience as little difference as possible.

   The question is whether anyone knows of a way to keep the small
outputs "inline", but have the option of automagically store the large
output inside a separate file (this file may be treated as a read-only
file), but still be able to operate on it as if it was not an external
file but an part of the current org file. Perhaps based on a toggle
command, one could say "include all "external" files inside for a minute
while I make my searches, and then purge the read-only "external" files
out of current buffer to keep emacs small and speedy.

   This might be similar in concept to "inline images" - they are a
display of read-only file into portion of the buffer - except that no
searches and other text operations can be performed on it.

   Related question: Imagine you are browsing a document which contains
an headline with an inline element (like an image or said large number
of output lines) which is expensive to obtain and display. Is there a
way to say to emacs to delay the loading of this expensive / huge
resource until e.g. 5 seconds passes or I press F6 or something to
indicate that I am willing to pay (money, time, memory resources) to
have the inline item displayer?

   Any ideas or pointers please?

    Thank you!!

    - HJ

PS: I dare not ask whether such dynamic  inclusion / exclusion could be
performed on a read-write file as well, but if anyone dares to venture
out on this question, it would be most welcome. This could expand (my)
horizons of orgmode's usability!