That would be very nice indeed. /Gustav ________________________________ From: Emacs-orgmode on behalf of TEC Sent: Friday, September 4, 2020 4:44:50 PM To: org-mode-email Subject: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type Hi everyone, Prompted by the fact that Markdown is registered as a MIME type (RFC7763) and perusing the MIME registration procedure (RFC6838), I wonder if it may be possible to register Org as a MIME type? There are a few parts of RFC6838 in particular which give me hope, such as: > [§4.9] universal support and implementation of a media type are > NOT a > requirement for registration. I'm guessing the main barrier wold be a the lack of a published specification --- I'm guessing a complete version of https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html published under the main site (i.e. https://orgmode.org/standard.html) would be required. Looking for other uses of the .org extension, there doesn't seem to be much. The main result is from "Lotus Organiser", which seems to be a (discontinued) PIM from IBM which used .org as its file type in the 1992 release. Other than that it seems that Yamaha and SoundBlaster have used it as an extension for organ audio samples. If it does seem possible to have text/org formally added as a mime type, I would love to push this. Please let me know what you think. All the best, Timothy.