emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* how to exclude a file from appearing in the refile target cache?
@ 2020-09-15 20:36 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2020-09-15 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I read:
https://orgmode.org/manual/Refile-and-Copy.html

But its unclear to me how to exclude a file from appearing in the
refile target cache.

My cache takes 13s to build and its too long for my taste. I have
archived all old notes now. I want to exclude my archive.org from the
refile targets. Is there a way to do that?

Cheers
swedebugia

* Re: how to exclude a file from appearing in the refile target cache?
@ 2020-09-15 22:54 ` Palak Mathur
From: Palak Mathur @ 2020-09-15 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 15, 2020, at 3:37 PM, swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I read:
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Refile-and-Copy.html
>
> But its unclear to me how to exclude a file from appearing in the
> refile target cache.
>
> My cache takes 13s to build and its too long for my taste. I have
> archived all old notes now. I want to exclude my archive.org from the
> refile targets. Is there a way to do that?

You can use org-refile-targets to explicitly tell which files to include when you want to Copy and Refile. I am not near my computer, otherwise I would have shared an example.

@ 2020-09-16  4:50   ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2020-09-16  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Den Tue, 15 Sep 2020 22:54:28 +0000
skrev Re: how to exclude a file from appearing in the refile target
cache?:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Sep 15, 2020, at 3:37 PM, swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I read:
> > https://orgmode.org/manual/Refile-and-Copy.html
> >
> > But its unclear to me how to exclude a file from appearing in the
> > refile target cache.
> >
> > My cache takes 13s to build and its too long for my taste. I have
> > archived all old notes now. I want to exclude my archive.org from
> > the refile targets. Is there a way to do that?
> >

> You can use org-refile-targets to explicitly tell which files to
> include when you want to Copy and Refile. I am not near my computer,
> otherwise I would have shared an example.

Thanks! This should be added in the manual page linked above I think.

* Re: how to exclude a file from appearing in the refile target cache?
@ 2020-09-16 23:33     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-09-16 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

swedebugia writes:

>> > On Sep 15, 2020, at 3:37 PM, swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net>
[...]
>> > I read:
>> > https://orgmode.org/manual/Refile-and-Copy.html
>> >
>> > But its unclear to me how to exclude a file from appearing in the
>> > refile target cache.
[...]
>> You can use org-refile-targets to explicitly tell which files to
>> include when you want to Copy and Refile. I am not near my computer,
>> otherwise I would have shared an example.
>
> Thanks! This should be added in the manual page linked above I think.

That section does mention org-refile-targets under org-refile:

    By default, all level 1 headlines in the current buffer are
    considered to be targets, but you can have more complex definitions
    across a number of files.  See the variable ~org-refile-targets~ for
    details.

Is there something else in particular you'd like to see there?