On 30 October 2016 at 23:57, Josiah Schwab wrote: > Hi Reuben, > > > It would be great if it were possible to install stable org-mode > > versions from GNU ELPA or MELPA Stable. At present, one has to choose > > between installing bleeding-edge versions simply, or stable versions > > built by hand. > > > > (I am a bit surprised I can’t find anything about this in the mailing > > list archives, so do forgive me if I’ve overlooked previous discussion.) > > The version on GNU ELPA (http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org.html), which > is labeled org-20161024, is org-git-version 8.3.6-7-g4d7d52-elpa. > > I believe that indicates that it is the latest version from the stable > maint branch, not a version from the unstable master branch (which is at > 8.3.6-1264-g21932c right now). > ​That's great! However, is a cut of the release branch as good as an actual release? Thought experiment: if it is good enough, surely the web site should point users to this installation method for the stable version? I can't imagine there are many users who would prefer to compile from source rather than just use package-install! ​ Also, the version should be the git tag (so that the version number is clearly visible), rather than the current "YYYYMMDD" format, which looks like a development snapshot. ​If the org-mode maintainers do *not* consider these release branch snapshots to be as good as actual releases, then I would repeat my request for stable releases to be available on GNU ELPA or MELPA Stable. -- http://rrt.sc3d.org