emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [org-cite, oc-basic] Citation disambiguation
@ 2021-06-03 21:11 András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2021-06-03 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

Dear All,

experimenting with the 'basic' citation backend I noticed that the
default author-year citation style (and its derived variants, like
text and year) does not perform citation disambiguation for items that
have the same author and year. E.g. the Org document
#+cite_export: basic author-year author-year
First: [cite:@disamb1examp]

Second: [cite:@disamb2examp]
is exported as
First: (Doe, John, 1973)

Second: (Doe, John, 1973)

Doe, John (1973). /Minor Work/, Journal of Philosophy.

Doe, John (1973). /Magnum Opus/, Journal of Philosophy.
which makes it impossible to identify the cited item. Perhaps the most
widespread solution to this problem is to add so called year-suffixes
to the year to disambiguate:
First: (Doe, John, 1973a)

Second: (Doe, John, 1973b)

Doe, John (1973a). /Minor Work/, Journal of Philosophy.

Doe, John (1973b). /Magnum Opus/, Journal of Philosophy.
I think some kind of disambiguation strategy should be implemented for
the basic citation backend to be really usable with the author-year
style. WDYT?

best regards,
András

* Re: [org-cite, oc-basic] Citation disambiguation
@ 2021-06-03 21:18 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-03 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: András Simonyi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 5:13 PM András Simonyi <andras.simonyi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think some kind of disambiguation strategy should be implemented for
> the basic citation backend to be really usable with the author-year
> style. WDYT?

I hadn't tested that, but I agree.

As you know, disambiguation can get complicated, but that approach is
easy low-hanging fruit.

Bruce

* Re: [org-cite, oc-basic] Citation disambiguation
@ 2021-06-04 21:05 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-06-04 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: András Simonyi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Hello,

András Simonyi <andras.simonyi@gmail.com> writes:

> First: (Doe, John, 1973a)
>
> Second: (Doe, John, 1973b)
>
> Doe, John (1973a). /Minor Work/, Journal of Philosophy.
>
> Doe, John (1973b). /Magnum Opus/, Journal of Philosophy.
>
> I think some kind of disambiguation strategy should be implemented for
> the basic citation backend to be really usable with the author-year
> style. WDYT?

Implemented in latest wip-cite-new branch.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [org-cite, oc-basic] Citation disambiguation
@ 2021-06-06 11:35   ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2021-06-06 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: András Simonyi, emacs-orgmode list

Dear All,

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 at 23:06, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> > I think some kind of disambiguation strategy should be implemented for
> > the basic citation backend to be really usable with the author-year
> > style. WDYT?
>
> Implemented in latest wip-cite-new branch.
>
> Regards,

Thanks, this is amazing! I was trying to look into it, but the latest
commit I see at
https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commits/wip-cite-new is from a
week ago. Is there a different location from which I can pull this
update?

thanks again,

@ 2021-06-06 12:19     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-06 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: András Simonyi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

I believe he rebased it and modified the history? So same branch.

@ 2021-06-06 12:47       ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2021-06-06 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Thanks, this was the case, now the basic processor disambiguates the citations.